• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apartment key safety

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

panda33

What is the name of your state? California

Someone used a key to come in my apartment. They started to come in and then I heard an "oops" and the door closed. It was not my boyfriend, he was at work. No one has ever been given a key to our apartment, we have never lost a key, none have been stolen, no one has access to our keys for copying. I checked with the owner to see if he or one of his employees possibly came in by mistake or anything else. He said no. He suggested that we replace to locks. I have no problem with that my concern is SOMEONE HAD ACCESS TO MY APARTMENT KEY!
How do I insure that the owner is responsibly storing our keys?

What are his responsibilities concerning safe storage of apartment keys?

What is the best way to address this issue?
Thanks for any help!

FarmerJ

I would suggest to you that perhaps your LL lied to you about the accidental entry by him/her/ or theyre repair man . Many LLs use mastered key systems so that they dont have to mess with digging through keys and use one key to open many many door locks . The odds of someone else using non mastered key to open your door while you are there are way too high . many LLs do re use locks from one move out to another but only the one who changed the locks might know where it came from before you . most LLS who use mastered locks have enough spares that it still isnt a problem . If your that nervous about it yes ask to have the lock swapped . but more than likely it was just a honest mistake by LL or LLs employees and they denied it as a panic reaction .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">