• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment manager hates children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IamStormy

What is the name of your state? Florida
This is difficult. I've been a tenant in my county for 21 years and never had a problem. Until now.

I now have a manager who despises children. The rules are applied very unevenly (for example, you are not allowed to have anything in the entranceway by your door, and yet there are apartments that have chairs, plants, tables, etc...). I got a warning because my daughter left her Barbie Jeep under the stairs/in front of my apartment overnight.

I have allowed my children to accompany other adult residents to the pool, and have gotten warnings that they are "unattended", evidently because I was not at the pool personally (although that is not a requirement, per the complex rules).

Children are not allowed to walk on the sidewalks, the grass, in the parking lot, or be seen outside of their apartment laughing or playing. It's considered "disturbing the peace".

I complained about a neighbor after many months of dealing with their BS...they soap down the entranceway (joint) and I have a choice of tracking the soap onto my carpet, or waiting for an hour for it to dry...they have many visitors as late as 3 or 4 am...and these people honk their horns out front, or sit on their patio whooping and hollering. The manager wrote me back a very vindictive and hostile (not to mention completely untrue) letter in response. I asked everyone nearby if they were questioned and what they had said.... Most said they WERE questioned and their answers were NOT the same as what was written by the manager. I wrote her back and told her I did NOT appreciate having my reputation (of which I am quite proud) being smeared. I asked that, in the future, before accusing me of anything, that she have documentation. I told her I was documenting everything myself (including dates, times, license plate numbers, descriptions, etc.) and would appreciate the same courtesy.

In the two years I've lived here, I have NEVER paid my rent late. I am a quiet tenant and get along VERY well with all my neighbors (with the exception noted above). My lease is up as of the end of January 2003.

Did I handle this correctly and what else, if anything, should I do? Was I out of line or is she? I've talked to the parents of many other children who live here and they all get harassed. This manager would LOVE to make this an all adult community, but she cannot do so due to the 2 and 3 bedroom apartments that cannot be rented to seniors.

I'm at my wit's end and don't know how best to respond or behave. I want to be a good tenant, but don't want my rights trampled on either.

Stormy

D

deweydecimal

Thats life.....you always get an idiot for a landlord, so plan NOW to raise cash, sell things, and prepare to move in January 2003.

Also it wont take much to get builing permits to slice those 2 and 3 bedroom units into 2 or 3 1 bedroom apartments,so they wont be big enough for anyone with kids...OR knock out a wall or two and make them handicapped acessable.

So its not that much of a problem, all they have to do is not renew their leases.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

since you have a lease find a away to tough it out and perhaps moving would be a better option . You have quite alot of time now maybe its time to actually look at what you could qualify for with a mortgage especially if your a first time home buyer and see if you can swing it . Make sure to give notice according to the terms of your lease so you dont get on the hook with a renewed lease If you do move .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">