• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment manager towed my van

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dzsgirl1

Long story short my apartment manager had my van towed almost two weeks ago is sitting in a towing yard I cannot afford to get it out she had told me when I called the office after I see my van was told that there was a warning sticker placed on my vehicle which is absolutely Ally my boyfriend I had came home late that evening and we saw that the towing company had been there because other cars had been already put with morning stickers on their mind had not had any on it. So from there I proceeded to call the towing company then ask them for what it's going to cost to get out at that time that was $346 and some change and if they explain to me how it's going to keep going up from there the different charges. so I went down there a few days later I've been down with my back so I couldn't exactly get down there quickly to start clearing out some of my stuff just in case I'm not going to be able to get my car out well down there I got a copy of the paperwork and it states that the manager of the apartment complex had called them on that day Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. to come tow my car they came by 12:30 p.m. that day. She reported it as vehicle being used for storage. we've been back and forth talking with her and my boyfriend and I are at the office trying to get my van up into my paid spot until my fuel pump can get put in every time I try to do that there's somebody spot parked in my spot, I've also informed them that I've started my business back up I have a house cleaning service but I just decided to expand to make it a multi type service I do many different things that this man is going to be my work vehicle and I'm in the process of getting it set up also. Irregardless of that that's not the reason she had told her she's claiming that is used for storage that is not used for storage I had just recently started trying to set up my work tools and my supplies in there so I can get busy with my business which is was going to be you're soon I've already started my business but I need my vehicle because I'm expanding that rapidly. the months ago she had posted a warning sticker on my car saying that it was being used for storage again at that time I was in the midst of switching things out of vehicles and I did have a bunch of things in the front seats, so I cleaned it all out and everything's been fine with that. the last warning sign I had on there was for the vehicle needs to be moved every 10 days my neighbor got one as well and this was about four months ago almost and we have been in contact with them since explaining about my business on that so long ago it seems like everything was fine. So the only things that I had my van for my work tools yard tools etc and a chair so I can take a break in the yard if I need to and some things that I need a lan blue shop vac and things that I used to clean houses so how is that used for storage and now I'm getting ready to lose my van it goes up for auction on the 20th this is not right she really messed up and she needs to pay for it and get my van back to me ASAP. it also has sentimental value to me my mother-in-law gave it to me she just recently passed away. anyway my boyfriend and I were on a little break when he first got the apartment and when I had started coming over I had problems with the van that I was working on and she had commented to him some type of comment I don't even remember really and right off the bat there when he told me that I felt like she didn't like me and I've done nothing but feel like she's just harassing me ever since I've been here by bouncing back and forth between the two Vans with my tab expiration my registration expiration which I've taken care of everything the last time when she complained about using it for storage I took care of that and it's not the issue this time they knew I was moving it up to my paid spot is she called them that day and had it towed in lie to me and told me that there was a warning sticker put on there the day before actually her assistant told me that it was placed on their four days before when they weren't even out here and I was home the whole time. any type of help any type of suggestions any type of anything would really greatly be appreciated. I'm on my way back to the Tony ride right now so I can get the rest of the things out of my man and this is not easy being me out with my back for the past five weeks to which they're well aware of as well. it goes up for auction on the 20th I don't know what I can do from here I have no money for that kind of thing I didn't have any money to pay for it the first day I don't have any more money for it now and this is really disheartening because everything is going so good for my business and now I don't have a vehicle to keep my stuff in and I can't keep putting it in this vehicle and bring it up to the apartment. thank you hopefully I can figure out how this site works if anybody does respond to me I'll check back here in a little bit I'm going to be taking off to the tow yard I appreciate any advice or help I can be given thank you. And I live in Puyallup Washington

FarmerJ

You are going to have to find the money to pay to get your van back and then if you can prove that the LL had no justification having it towed then do it in a court room when you sue in small claims court, you mentioned other people who were parked in your assigned spot SO what was the result of your written complaint to the LL about people parking in your assigned spot ? ( BTW just so you know , you and your BF could have put that van in neutral and rolled it out by pushing it then turned it around every so often so a few days it was parked front out and a few days front in so it at least looked like it was running)

Dzsgirl1

You are going to have to find the money to pay to get your van back and then if you can prove that the LL had no justification having it towed then do it in a court room when you sue in small claims court, you mentioned other people who were parked in your assigned spot SO what was the result of your written complaint to the LL about people parking in your assigned spot ? ( BTW just so you know , you and your BF could have put that van in neutral and rolled it out by pushing it then turned it around every so often so a few days it was parked front out and a few days front in so it at least looked like it was running)
I'm going to the tween or tomorrow to get the rest of stuff up there going to be closed by the time I get there thank you for replying to my post yes I did mention being able to put it into neutral and moving it but you don't know my boyfriend he's not your average boyfriend actually I don't think he's normal at all boyfriend LOL anyway that's what I suggested at one point and he didn't want to help me with it so here we are anyway I did speak with the towing company and they did say something that I can bring them my title and $300 and they will just salvage it. but I'm pretty upset with the manager and I think she needs to make up for what she cost here that was supposed to be for my business she knew this she just doesn't like me I'm assuming. so if I want to go further with this and get anything from it I need to take her to small claims court then to at least recover whatever the blue book on the van is I'm assuming how does this work?

FarmerJ

If you were going to use the van to help make money and cant with it being gone that's on you, as to your BF and you positing >t yes I did mention being able to put it into neutral and moving it but you don't know my boyfriend he's not your average boyfriend actually I don't think he's normal at all boyfriend< I take it that translates into he may not be very motivated is the politest way I can say it. If your going to just let the van go , why even give the tow operator any money at all ? if you offer them the keys and signed title and NO money and tell them what is wrong with it then maybe they can sell it but it makes no sense to give them any money unless its enough to get it out then you gotta fix it to keep it driveable.

Gail in Georgia

"Long story short"

Glad this isn't the long version of what happened.

"I'm pretty upset with the manager and I think she needs to make up for what she cost here that was supposed to be for my business she knew this she just doesn't like me I'm assuming. so if I want to go further with this and get anything from it I need to take her to small claims court then to at least recover whatever the blue book on the van is I'm assuming how does this work?"

Your van is not worth anything and to be honest, if you present your story to the court as you have presented it here, you will only confuse the judge.

Gail

Dzsgirl1

If you were going to use the van to help make money and cant with it being gone that's on you, as to your BF and you positing >t yes I did mention being able to put it into neutral and moving it but you don't know my boyfriend he's not your average boyfriend actually I don't think he's normal at all boyfriend< I take it that translates into he may not be very motivated is the politest way I can say it. If your going to just let the van go , why even give the tow operator any money at all ? if you offer them the keys and signed title and NO money and tell them what is wrong with it then maybe they can sell it but it makes no sense to give them any money unless its enough to get it out then you gotta fix it to keep it driveable.
I did offer the lady at the desk I asked her if they would consider taking the title I'd give them the keys in the title because I didn't want it to affect my credit and or possibly get my license suspended if I couldn't afford to pay anything on it they told me that it would go to auction and then if there was anything left that I would oh the choke up company they deduct it from what the van was sold at and if it wasn't enough that I'd have to pay the difference I did ask if I could make payments on that it did say they allowed it about $100 a month, in the van would just go to the salvage yard but I have to have the money for that by this Friday and I can't come up with that kind of money and that short of a time either. And yes you are putting it a very polite way with my boyfriend LOL he's not your average normal boyfriend turn on the lazy side and then some. My main concern anymore it's just to make sure that my license doesn't get suspended and or I don't get sent to collections for not being able to make a payment or what have you I've never had a license suspended in my life and don't want to start now and 51 years old and my credit took a slide few years back and it's been being rebuilt which I don't need to get ruined in the process of me starting my own business back up. I believe I only have like 10 days if I want to take them to court to go to the courts and fill out paperwork for that. The price that towing yards charge is insanely crazy I don't understand how they can get away with charging so much to begin with. It's not the towing yards fault they're just doing their jobs I understand that I'm just upset at the landlord manager at this apartment complex. Thank you for responding again I appreciate it

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I tried getting through your long block of text. From what I can tell, you were notified on several different occasions that you weren't allowed to use your vehicle for storage. Each time, you had to clean out the vehicle in order to comply with the notice. In other words, you WERE using the vehicle for storage.

FarmerJ

when you wrote > I didn't want it to affect my credit and or possibly get my license suspended if I couldn't afford to pay anything on it they told me that it would go to auction< first off this problem is a civil one not a criminal so there is nothing the tow operator can do that will have any impact on your drivers license and as far as the debt from the tow don't you think they would have to prove to a court that you are responsible for a unpaid tow and storage bill especially if you didn't hire them? If by chance the tow operator sends the claim of debt to a bill collector then feel free to come back and see what you can learn about how you might be able to challenge it.

FarmerJ

Last BTW if you were using a speech recognition program to type for you perhaps you should not use it here some of the words it entered surely had to be mistakes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">