• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeals & their time limits. When filing gets rejected...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
First, in order to pull you over and stop you, the police needed to have reasonable suspicion that a violation may have been committed, not probable cause. Reasonable suspicion is even a lower standard than probable cause, and probable cause is itself not very demanding. So what was the reason they stopped you?

If the vehicle was indeed not registered and titled and the officers had reason to know that when they made the stop then they had reasonable suspicion and the stop was valid. If you are relying on the arguments that you see on some web sites that says that the Constitution gives you a right to drive your car on the roads without a driver's license, without titling and registering your car, or without having the required insurance then you will lose. The courts have heard those arguments many times over the past several decades and roundly rejected them. Indeed, it is so clear in the law that states may impose licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for you to drive on the roads that you risk sanctions for bringing a frivolous argument if you try to argue that position.

So, did you have the state mandated license, registration, and insurance?

I think there must be more to this story here because ordinarily simply lacking license, registration, and insurance doesn't get you tossed in jail for several days. Did you antagonize the cop during the stop at all, like spouting a lot those rejected constitutional arguments, during the stop?

As for the appeal, it is your responsibility to ensure you file the appeal timely. I've not seen the documents in your case and what you tried to do so I cannot comment on whether you have any way to save the appeal at this point. But understand it is your responsibility to get the appeal in the right format and file it on time. If you have problems with electronically filing it then you need to print the appeal and file it by hand with the court before the deadline. If you are late it may turn out that the appeal will not be accepted in which case your case is done.

From post #8
"case started after pulled over (but made it to my home) was arrested & car towed from private driveway"
Could it be that the police tried to pull you over, and knowing they would find that the car was not registered, insured or in your name you made a bolt for home thinking they couldn't do anything when you were on your own property?
More to this than meets the eye.
Get an attorney and stop digging the hole you're in even deeper.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From post #8
"case started after pulled over (but made it to my home) was arrested & car towed from private driveway"
Could it be that the police tried to pull you over, and knowing they would find that the car was not registered, insured or in your name you made a bolt for home thinking they couldn't do anything when you were on your own property?
More to this than meets the eye.
Get an attorney and stop digging the hole you're in even deeper.
I had a friend who got a speeding ticket in his driveway. He asked the cop: "Are you allowed to give me a ticket in my own driveway when you claim I was speeding down town?" The cop replied "It took me that long to catch you."

quincy

Kristy, there are local, state and federal agencies. The sheriff’s department would be a local law enforcement agency. An example of a state agency would be your state police and an example of a federal agency would be the FBI.

In your other thread, you were looking at the Federal Torts Claim Act standard form 95. That form does not apply. Yours is not a federal claim.

Here is a link to your other (now locked) thread:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/appropriate-federal-agency.658234/

You should try to find an attorney in your area to help you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">