• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appellate court procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

plynnp

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Michigan
I cannot ask my own attorney this question. We have a case before the appellate court of Michigan. It is coming up for oral arguments in August. I was the defendant in the case. (civil)
I will probably not be alive to hear the decision. I have not had the heart to tell my wonderful attorney this. We are fairly confident that we will win the appeal. I was so ill I was not able to attend the civil trial. I provided the Judge with 2 proofs from MD's to this fact. The judge then sent me to his own doctor for confirmation which the judges doctor concurred, I was not well enough to appear at a trial. The Judge held the trial anyway, with only my attorney present on my behalf. We feel there was other judicial error also. My question is what happens to the appeal if I am dead. Will oral arguments still be heard? If so and the appeal is won, what happens to the plaintiff's lawsuit? Can it be retried if I am dead. Is a default judgement possible? If the appeal is won what happens to the assests already turned over to the plaintiffs. The judge, newly elected at the time all of this started, developed a malice toward me right from the start. He presided over 4 concurrent cases I was involved in. I was plaintiff or defendant depending on the case. The entire mess took five years and hundreds of court appearance to litigate. We requested numerous times for his removal from the cases, to no avail. The other circuit court judge in the county had already recused himself from one of the above cases, because my lawyer caught him flat out in judicial misconduct. The judge hearing all 4 cases said there was nothing wrong with me. He said in open court that I had put on an academy award winning performance. Since the end of the trial ,winter 2000,, I have had 4 major operations with another one coming up if I choose to go through this exercise in futility. I am cooperating with the State Court Administrative Office. I realize this is lengthy, but I very much need my questions answered as to the appellate procedure in case of death. I would like to know if I should fight to hang on. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">