• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Application for US citizenship with long overseas trips

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received my green card on December of 2009 (employment based) and I had the following trips between 2010-2012

departure return #days
4/1/2012 6/24/2012 84
12/8/2011 3/24/2012 107
7/11/2011 11/29/2011 141
1/18/2011 7/5/2011 168
7/13/2010 1/12/2011 183

The first one is 183 days > 180 days which could potentially break the continuos stay in the US.

I was trying to establish a business overseas which required those long trips but I was not planning on moving there, I do not have much to prove my intent for return except for my bank/credit cards and tax filings. Since July 2012 I have been living in the united states continuously.

My question is do I qualify for applying for citizenship on December 2014 or do I have to wait some more time? if I had to wait, when do I qualify?


See http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization for physical presence requirements

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential