• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for a Driver's License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilal74717

Hello everyone. I have 3 DUI in the state of NJ. I have served a 10 year license suspension & am eligible to get my license back. I now live in South Carolina. I will have to apply for a SC license & take all tests over since I lost my DL for so long. When I went into SC DMV they asked me for my old NJ DL or my NJ DL driving record in order to complete my DL application. Which I would have to send for. Here's my question:

Can I go into SC DMV & tell them that I have never had a DL before & just go through the same process of doing all the tests over to get my license. By doing so can I prevent my NJ driving record from following me onto my new SC DL since I am not giving them my driving records? This we be very beneficial to acquiring jobs & such if I could hide past mistakes. BTW I am 9 years sober. Secondly if I tried this would they see NJ pop up as soon as I tell them I never had a DL before at SC DMV? Thirdly what is the penalty if I do this?

quincy

Hello everyone. I have 3 DUI in the state of NJ. I have served a 10 year license suspension & am eligible to get my license back. I now live in South Carolina. I will have to apply for a SC license & take all tests over since I lost my DL for so long. When I went into SC DMV they asked me for my old NJ DL or my NJ DL driving record in order to complete my DL application. Which I would have to send for. Here's my question:

Can I go into SC DMV & tell them that I have never had a DL before & just go through the same process of doing all the tests over to get my license. By doing so can I prevent my NJ driving record from following me onto my new SC DL since I am not giving them my driving records? This we be very beneficial to acquiring jobs & such if I could hide past mistakes. BTW I am 9 years sober. Secondly if I tried this would they see NJ pop up as soon as I tell them I never had a DL before at SC DMV? Thirdly what is the penalty if I do this?
South Carolina will know of your DUIs and license suspension in New Jersey.

adjusterjack

Can I go into SC DMV & tell them that I have never had a DL before & just go through the same process of doing all the tests over to get my license.
You can, but it won't work. NJ and SC are both members of the Drivers License Compact. Your NJ record will appear immediately upon putting your name into the system.

What difference does the penalty make? Isn't it enough that you'll be worse off than you were before?

FlyingRon

I'm presuming you had an NJ license at the time of the last DUI and hence are still revoked there even though you are eligible for reinstatement.
Is that Right?

If that is the case, you are still likely blocked in the NDR (and every state in the union participates in that). SC won't consider issuing you until you square yourself with NJ.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And considering that the application for a driver's license in SC ( www.scdmvonline.com/-/media/Forms/447-NC.ashx ) requires you to tell of your license in NJ (or any other state) and of any current license suspension in NJ (or any other state), the SC DMV WILL find out about this.

ETA: Neither this forum (nor any other forum giving legal advice) will advise you to commit PERJURY.

Edited again to fix the meaning of the sentence ;)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Zig, you need to check your grammar in the last line. We won't tell him to commit perjury (or otherwise lie on his application).

xylene

You've been told what you have to do.

Everything else you are proposing is stuff you made up.

Zigner

Just for reference, here is the text of the relevant portions of the SC Driver's License Application (Form 447-NC):

4. Do you now have or have you ever had an identification card, beginner's permit, driver's license, or moped license from another state or country? If yes, list information from the last time issued. State/Country, License Number, and Issue Date

5. Is your beginner's permit, driver's license, moped license, or privilege to drive suspended, cancelled, revoked or disqualified in any state? If yes, where? When Last?

STEP 9 - CERTIFICATION
I certify under penalty of perjury that all information and statements made in this application are true and correct as of the date of this application. I also certify that I do not have a valid driver's license other than the one(s) reported in question #3 and #4 above and that my privilege to operate a motor vehicle is not now or subject to be suspended, cancelled, revoked or disqualified a the time of this application
I understand that I am receiving an SC credential based on the information provided in this application, and that the SCDMV will verify all information. I also understand that if my privilege to drive is ever suspended, cancelled or revoked in SC or any other state, my SC license will be revoked until I have met all reinstatement requirements in SC and any other states.

Perjury is a CRIME. Deal with your license in NJ and THEN apply for an SC license.

Just Blue

As an FYI ; A mistake is 1+1=10 You drove drunk 3x (that you were caught. I am positive you did it many, many, many times) and endangered other lives. That is not a "mistake" that was a choice. You get to pay for those choices you made for a long, long time.

Zigner

He doesn't even need to 'deal' beyond ordering a drivers abstract, which appears to cost only 15 dollars.
That's the starting point of dealing with it. The OP will need to jump through whatever hoops NJ has in order to reinstate his driving privilege, then he'll be able to get an SC license.

xylene

That's the starting point of dealing with it. The OP will need to jump through whatever hoops NJ has in order to reinstate his driving privilege, then he'll be able to get an SC license.
How will the op get an NJ license in a state he does not reside in? If there are complications beyond the request of an abstract then the op will need a lawyer.

Zigner

How will the op get an NJ license in a state he does not reside in? If there are complications beyond the request of an abstract then the op will need a lawyer.
He doesn't have to get a NJ license, he just has to be eligible to get one. I suspect there are fees/fines that must be paid prior to his becoming eligible for a NJ license.

ETA: By "eligible", I'm not talking about residency. He's just got to pay any fines/fees that will allow the current suspension/restriction to be lifted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">