• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GkwofAtl

What is the name of your state? NC

I am applying for a life insurance policy tomorrow. I had some blood tests done yesterday at my doctor. The insurance company will, no doubt, asks me about any existing health problems ( i don't have any yet that I know of since I haven't got the results back). If they issue the policy, based on that fact and then, the next day I get some negative results back from the doctor, Can the insurance company void my policy or refuse a claim if there is one.

Beth3

Once they issue the policy, that's it - unless they can demonstrate that you perpetrated a fraud when applying for coverage. You're worrying unnecessarily.

C

CIAA

GkwofAtl,
BE CAREFUL!
In addition to asking about specific health conditions, the application will more than likely ask you about ANY doctors, tests or treatments you have had within the past several years and may also ask if you have had "any indication" of....a, b or c.

In North Carolina, as in most states, coverage can be cancelled or voided by the insurance company within a period of time (usually 2 years) if the insurance company finds that (1) you did not disclose information requested on the application, and (2) that such information would have led them to (a) not issue coverage, or (b) issue coverage differently.

Proof of "fraud" is NOT required to void coverage during this period of time, only that the misstatement was "material" to the company's decision.

If the agent does not ask an application question correctly or places the wrong answer on an application question that you sign, the insurance company may still be able to cancel your coverage.

Make very sure that every question on the application is complete and accurate, otherwise you may have plenty to worry about.

Disclaimer: We are not attorneys and do not give legal advise. The response is an opinion based on decades of claims management experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">