• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appraiser referred me to Collection Agency even after I paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evs3939

What is the name of your state? CA
Awhile back, I posted here to solicit legal advice on how to handle an appraiser who was trying to collect an appraisal fee. At first, I refused to pay him because before he came to do the appraisal, he gave us a pre-determined value of my house, but after he actually did it, he came up with a value $200,000 lesser than his pre-determined value. But all of you have been helpful to me and advised to pay him, as he was entitled to his money. I did just that. I paid him thru paypal in November last year. But last Friday, after a couple of months that I paid him, I got a letter from a Collection Agency, trying to collect that money that I already paid. I called the appraiser right away. He laughed and asked me to email him the receipt then he will clear it with the Collection Agency. He sounded like he knew I already paid him (how could he not know), but he still went ahead and referred me to Collection Agency. I emailed him the receipt right away, and he never called or emailed me back. If I don't hear from him on Monday, what is the next step that I must take? Does that mean that my credit is now ruined because he referred me to a Collection Agency? I am scared to check my credit report. Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">