• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Approved vacation rescinded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dldave1978

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi. My wife works for the county government. The policy is you get 5 days after you complete six months. Six months up tomorrow (tuesday). Vacation was/is set to start on Wednesday. The request was submitted 9/10. To get your vacation approved it has to be signed off by the immediate boss, then a services coordinator and then the head of the division for the county. All three of these individuals signed and approved the vacation. My wife and her boss have/had a copy.

This afternoon, county HR calls and says the vacaction is not approved because the rule says you have to wait until after the pay period is up so she needs to wait until the next pay period. Rule is not in the county handbook. Vacation was approved by all that are supposed to sign off on it. And now they say it's not approved. Interestingly enough, my wife was told to give the copy of the approval back to her boss so it can be destroyed. HR told her to give it back and so did my wifes boss. My wife was able to make another quick copy before she returned what they think is the only copy. They may let her take the time unpaid but she won't have an answer until tomorrow.

So, what do you all think? My wife's vacation is supposed to start in two days and everything is paid for. It doesn't seem fair that it can be approved by all who are supposed to and it seems a bit shady that they want to destroy the evidence.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

ecmst12

Not very nice, but legal. Employers are never required to offer paid vacation and they can dictate when you can or can't take it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">