• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apt. Complex Will Not Accept My Check...Now Placing a Late Fee...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, here is the situation, there have been past issues where the rent check has been delivered a day late on 3 occasions in the last 18 months at this complex. Never more than a day. Per the lease, after 3 occasions personal checks are no longer accepted, only money orders. The third occasion of this occuring was March when I was out of town. However, in April I paid via check on time and it was accepted and cashed without incident. I paid on time in May and it was returned yesterday saying that because of my incident in March future checks are not accepted and a money order is required and due by 6PM that day. I received this notice at 5:35PM, called and spoke to management and she said sorry, you have 30 minutes, that or get it to us before we open the next day. Well, you can't just pull $700.00 out of an ATM, and the banks were closed so this did not occur.

If this policy was there the entire time since March, why was my April check cashed and accepted, and how can I only be given 30 minutes notice. The manager called me today saying ok, bring a money order in today or you will be charged. There is no way I can get one today, I am not in town and will not be back until Monday, I informed them of this yesterday. What is my recourse if any? They will be imposing a $250.00 late fee if it is not received. Here are my questions:

1. Can they only give me 30 minutes notice
2. By accepting last months check and breaking lease how can they enforce it this time around?
3. By not paying the late fees and getting evicted, will this harm my credit?

Thanks!

Last edited:

K

krispenstpeter

Per the lease, after 3 occasions personal checks are no longer accepted, only money orders.
O.K. so far.

Well, you can't just pull $700.00 out of an ATM
Incorrect. I have, at times, pulled $10,000 or more out of the ATM in Seattle and New York. Yes, you have to wait for awhile until each withdrawal comes through, but it can be done.

1. Can they only give me 30 minutes notice
They didn't give you only 30 minutes notice. They gave you notice the moment you signed your lease.

2. By accepting last months check and breaking lease how can they enforce it this time around?
Yep, or anytime in the future.

3. By not paying the late fees and getting evicted, will this harm my credit?
This is what is know on this forum and in the Business World as a big, fat DUH!!!!!!

B

Born to Lease

krispenstpeter:

Sounds to me like you have also "heard these excuses"...great reply!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">