• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arbitration Appeal rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robinwe

What is the name of your state? PA (Bucks County)
I won an arbitration award (I am pro se) in bucks county, PA. The lead arbitrator gave instructions at the end stating that the defendant had 20 days to appeal. The defendant filed his appeal 27 days later. I found this explanation: Under Bucks County R.C.P. 1308*(e) exceptions to the panel's decision must be filed within 20 days after it is rendered. The only two grounds for exceptions are that the award was entered becasue of "corruption or undue means: or that the arbitrators "misbehaved themselves." I also found this: Rule 1308*(e) Any party may file exceptions with the Court from the decision of the board of arbitrators within 20 days from the filing of the report for either or both of the following reasons and for no other: (1) That the arbitrators misbehaved themselves in the conduct of the case; (2) That the action of the board was procured by corruption or other undue means. If such exceptions shall be sustained the report of the board shall be vacated by the Court.

The lawyer I am consulting with says they have 30 days to appeal according to the state law which will overide local laws. (then why do the local laws exist?)
I read the above to say they have to appeal in 20 days and only if there was some kind of misconduct or corruption during the arbitration (which there was not). The lawyer does not agree that these are the only reasons for appeal. The papers I received after the arbitration was complete are as follows: A copy of my award signed by all 3 lawyers from the arb. panel, a Notice of Appeal from Award of Board of Arbitrators and an Omnibus Praecipe for Hearing, Trial or Argument which has the action requested as: Equity or Other Non-Jury Hearing, Assumpsit, Arbitration appeal. I have doubts about the counsel I am receiving. Did the defendant mess up by not appealing in 20 days or less? Can he appeal just because he is not happy with the award? Please give me your opinion on what I should do next. Thank you.
Robin W.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">