• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arbitration-stopping petition to enforce award

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmbennett

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?California

I moved to California in April 2003 after I lost my job in Maryland. My wife still lives in Maryland and I own several houses in Maryland. My wife has received a copy of a petition to confirm and enforce and arbitration award against me. My residence is in California. I have never been served any notice of an arbitration hearing and know nothing of an award against me. Apparently, the National Arbitration Forum issued an award in favor of MBNA against me in the amount of $22,708 on May 13, 2005. They have now petitioned Circuit Court in Maryland to enforce it. Should I contact the court first and request a hearing or should I try to have a judgment vacated if it is entered? Should I contact the National Arbitration Forum ?

BelizeBreeze

gmbennett said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?California

I moved to California in April 2003 after I lost my job in Maryland. My wife still lives in Maryland and I own several houses in Maryland. My wife has received a copy of a petition to confirm and enforce and arbitration award against me. My residence is in California. I have never been served any notice of an arbitration hearing and know nothing of an award against me. Apparently, the National Arbitration Forum issued an award in favor of MBNA against me in the amount of $22,708 on May 13, 2005. They have now petitioned Circuit Court in Maryland to enforce it. Should I contact the court first and request a hearing or should I try to have a judgment vacated if it is entered? Should I contact the National Arbitration Forum ?
Unless you notified the court during the initial action of your new address, the service was legal and there is no vacating the order on that basis.

I would stronly suggest you either pay the judgement (after all, you own several house in Maryland) or answer the summons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">