• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Attorney and ca the same?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indiasomeplace

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Thanks for all of the advice folks!

I have a question after much research. Is an out of state collection ATTORNEY required to be licensed in my state to pursue a debt which DOES require collection agencies to be licensed? Neither the attorney nor ca is licensed in my state.

Also, is there a way to find out if the debt has been sold to the ca? I read that if an attorney is pursuing it, it probably has been sold to the ca.

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

indiasomeplace said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

Thanks for all of the advice folks!

I have a question after much research. Is an out of state collection ATTORNEY required to be licensed in my state to pursue a debt which DOES require collection agencies to be licensed? Neither the attorney nor ca is licensed in my state.

Also, is there a way to find out if the debt has been sold to the ca? I read that if an attorney is pursuing it, it probably has been sold to the ca.

Thanks!

My response:

First of all, an attorney doesn't have to be licensed in your State merely to pursue non-courthouse methods of collection. However, once it goes to the Complaint and Court stage, then those things must be done by an attorney admitted to practice in your State.

How do you know that the same attorney isn't admitted to practice in your State? You know, many attorneys are licensed to practice in a multitude of States.

IAAL

indiasomeplace

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I understand that you said some attorneys are licensed in multiple states. So, are you saying that it doesn't matter if the office that the attorney works for is not licensed in my state, he can still pursue me through the courts? I am concerned with a legal judgement. Can I find out if the account has been sold to the ca?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

indiasomeplace said:
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I understand that you said some attorneys are licensed in multiple states. So, are you saying that it doesn't matter if the office that the attorney works for is not licensed in my state, he can still pursue me through the courts? I am concerned with a legal judgement. Can I find out if the account has been sold to the ca?

Thanks

My response:

Do you even understand what you're talking about?

Look, you now say you have a judgment against you. You're way past the collection agency stage. Now, you're in the garnishment stage.

An attorney who is going after you MUST be licensed in your State - - not the law firm.

IAAL

indiasomeplace

I said I was concerned about a judgement. I do not have a judgement against me. I mistakingly thought that since the office was not licensed in my state, that the attorney working at the office could not legally pursue me. But you are stating that an individual attorney working at that office could be licensed in my state, right?
Thanks, you've been a great help!

indiasomeplace

ladynred are you there?

Hi
You've given great advice. I found out that none of the attorneys demanding money from me are licensed in my state. I sent a validation letter to the ca, then received a letter from attorneys and sent them validation letter. What do you think will happen now since they are not licensed in my state? Is there anything I should do?

Thanks!

Veronica1228

indiasomeplace said:
Hi
You've given great advice. I found out that none of the attorneys demanding money from me are licensed in my state. I sent a validation letter to the ca, then received a letter from attorneys and sent them validation letter. What do you think will happen now since they are not licensed in my state? Is there anything I should do?

Thanks!
Let me see if I can help. An attorney does not have to be licensed in your state to try and collect on a debt. They have to be licensed in order to practice law in your state. When they decide to go ahead and sue you that's when them being or not being licensed will come into play. At this point it doesn't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">