• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are bizarre local laws legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbminor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in California. The city I live in has some strange laws involving our municipal utility company. For instance, every Friday our utility company will compile a list of all customers who have had their electricity shut off. They send this list to the city building inspectors. The inspectors will then go out and red tag the home for immediate abatement claiming it's unfit to live in. They also notify the landlord that he will get a $1000 per day fine if he allows the tenant to continue living there w/o electricity.
Another strange law. All adults in your home must be on your utility bill.
So here is a possible scenario. Adult child gets their utilities shut off. They are abated from their home and forced to move in with their parents. Parents must now list adult child on their utilities. When this is done, the adult child's past due/unpaid bill is attached to the parent's account.
Another thing that recently happened and was in our local newspaper. Elderly woman cosigns for a friend's account. Friend skips out, cosigner now owes. Electricity company attaches bad account to elderly woman's utility account. She could not afford to pay. Utilities almost shut off until local charity paid all past due plus massive security deposit.
Sure they have ordinances for this but are they legal?
Things the public has tried: City Council. Had lots of meetings. Made changes. They took the changes back within a few months.
Went to the Grand Jury. Grand Jury made recommendations. City ignored them.
So, how do I know if a law is valid? It can't be true that local gov't can make any laws they want?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in California. The city I live in has some strange laws involving our municipal utility company. For instance, every Friday our utility company will compile a list of all customers who have had their electricity shut off. They send this list to the city building inspectors. The inspectors will then go out and red tag the home for immediate abatement claiming it's unfit to live in. They also notify the landlord that he will get a $1000 per day fine if he allows the tenant to continue living there w/o electricity.
Another strange law. All adults in your home must be on your utility bill.
So here is a possible scenario. Adult child gets their utilities shut off. They are abated from their home and forced to move in with their parents. Parents must now list adult child on their utilities. When this is done, the adult child's past due/unpaid bill is attached to the parent's account.
Another thing that recently happened and was in our local newspaper. Elderly woman cosigns for a friend's account. Friend skips out, cosigner now owes. Electricity company attaches bad account to elderly woman's utility account. She could not afford to pay. Utilities almost shut off until local charity paid all past due plus massive security deposit.
Sure they have ordinances for this but are they legal?
Things the public has tried: City Council. Had lots of meetings. Made changes. They took the changes back within a few months.
Went to the Grand Jury. Grand Jury made recommendations. City ignored them.
So, how do I know if a law is valid? It can't be true that local gov't can make any laws they want?
Is theft of services any more legal than theft of property? :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you start a new thread about the same topic?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-rights-discrimination-law-101/privacy-vs-residency-disclosure-571858.html

pbminor

Is theft of services any more legal than theft of property? :cool:
Ever hear two wrongs don't make a right?
However, I agree with you, theft is theft.

Don't start multiple threads about the same situation.
I started a new thread because I didn't get anything to help me from the first thread. I figured I would ask it in a different way. Maybe stir some thought. This has been an issue in our city for at least a few years.
Feel free to go to redding.com and search REU. Maybe you can see the frustration we face without being able to find a fair and legal solution.

swalsh411

Shoot. I came to this thread expecting to see somebody complaining about a law such as:

In Georgia, it is illegal for a woman to bathe a pig in public.*

*I have no idea if that is actually a law or not.

pbminor

It was already pointed out in the other thread that no such law is on the books.
I did call to clarify this rule. After them insisting that all adults in the home need to be on the bill, I was finally able to get them to admit there is nothing they can do about it if I don't want to include them Unfortunately, the only people who will ever know this are those who are hard headed enough to insist that this cannot be done.
You can hire an attorney and fight it in court, or you can put up with it.
I believe this is true. I was hoping for maybe a link where I could do some research. It's tough to find a good attorney. Many of them are overwhelmed with greed and have forgotten how to provide help. Last time I consulted an attorney, I felt like I had just paid $300 (discounted to $200) for a sales pitch on starting a corporation, which he would do for $3500 (discount offer of $2500).
I guess I just sit here and be glad that it doesn't affect me personally. I can't save the world :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you start a new thread about the same topic?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-rights-discrimination-law-101/privacy-vs-residency-disclosure-571858.html

...and now we're right back where we were in the OTHER thread :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">