• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are fictitious inventions protected in a copyrighted screenplay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

In the Marvel Studios release "The Avengers", the heroine uses a very unique technological device during a critical early scene. The device in question is a baseball cap that has built-in technologies that allow the hat to project a generic face over that of the wearer for the means of visual camouflage. This is not something that is abstract. It is very concrete, specific, and precise. I just need to know if something like this can be perused in a legal sense.

quincy

In the Marvel Studios release "The Avengers", the heroine uses a very unique technological device during a critical early scene. The device in question is a baseball cap that has built-in technologies that allow the hat to project a generic face over that of the wearer for the means of visual camouflage. This is not something that is abstract. It is very concrete, specific, and precise. I just need to know if something like this can be perused in a legal sense.
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

There can be both copyright protection and trademark protection offered a creative device/prop used in a film.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, this forum is for US law only. Also, have you developed such a device?

quincy

Thank you for providing your state name.

Props used in movies are often rights-protected. These rights are often held by the movie studios and movie studios often capitalize on what has been created for the movies by selling reproductions - often as toys.

These rights are generally vigorously protected and anyone trying to capitalize by creating products based on the props can be sued for infringement.

What I am trying to get at is that this particular piece of technology was something that was invented/created/conceived by my co-screenwriter and I in a copyrighted screenplay that came years before The Avengers movie release. I am just searching for someone out there who has experience in dealing with this sort of thing. Do I have grounds legally to pursue an infringement claim?

quincy

Possibly.

Is your screenplay registered with the US Copyright Office? Registration is required before any infringement claim is pursued.

You will want to seek out an IP attorney in your area for a review of all facts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should seek out a local intellectual property (IP) attorney to review the facts of your matter.

quincy

It's possible.

The prop from the movie will need to be compared with the description of the device in your screenplay to determine if the prop can be viewed as a derivative work.

Be warned that, if you do have an infringement claim to pursue (and I am not sure you do), movie studios have a lot of money available and a large team of experienced lawyers to fight any claim filed against it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">