• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are state or federal tax returns "garnishable" to satisfy a judment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bunkles

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a judgement against an ex-boyfriend for $1,900. I plan to be as agressive as possible in collecting on this judgement. Can I garnish his state or income tax refunds? If so, where do I start? Do I use the non-earnings form? Also, if I want to have a judement lien placed on his vehicle, do I need the VIN#? I have the license plate, year and model, etc., as well as his SS#. Is this enough?

racer72

The IRS only allows garnishments for back child support and certain taxes, that will not accept garnishments from individuals. You will need to contact your state taxing authority to answer your state question. A word of warning about placing a lein on a motor vehicle. If the vehicle is worth $3000 and you place a $2000 lein against it, then the vehicle is demolished in an accident and deemed to be worth $25, you get the $25 and your $2000 claim is considered settled. You do not get protection against depreciation like an original creditor does. Plus motor vehicles can be sold out of state or traded in at a dealer and you lose your leinholder rights to the vehicle.

stevek3

bunkles said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a judgement against an ex-boyfriend for $1,900. I plan to be as agressive as possible in collecting on this judgement. Can I garnish his state or income tax refunds? If so, where do I start? Do I use the non-earnings form? Also, if I want to have a judement lien placed on his vehicle, do I need the VIN#? I have the license plate, year and model, etc., as well as his SS#. Is this enough?
In Ohio, you can't place a judgment lien on a motor vehicle. Only real property is subject to a judgment lien.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">