• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Suffixes Part of Legal Name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedas2

It could especially in the case of a different suffix. It is wrong and with the current security issues it should certainly be fixed.

I've never heard of a police officer asking for an SSN when they have your license.

Apparently it's common and the National Motorists Association wrote an article about it. [Link to motorists.org removed]

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However, in over three and a half decades as a licensed driver, I have been pulled over somewhere between 15-20 times and have never once been asked about my social security number.
I agree - except that in my nearly three and a half decades as a licensed driver, I've only been pulled over 3 times (and of which one the cop got it wrong).
Slow down ;)

Pedas2

It could especially in the case of a different suffix. It is wrong and with the current security issues it should certainly be fixed.

I've never heard of a police officer asking for an SSN when they have your license.

The internet is replete with comments from people being asked by a police officer for a SSN during a traffic stop.

Pedas2

Not a commerical link. Reputable newspaper website. Recent story about poilce department routinely asking for SSN during traffic stop when drivers also had driver's license.

[link removed]

PayrollHRGuy

Not a commerical link. Reputable newspaper website. Recent story about poilce department routinely asking for SSN during traffic stop when drivers also had driver's license.

[link removed]
That story just shows how unusual it is. It also states they aren't using the SSN for identity purposes but as a method of filing.

If I ever get pulled over their I won't be giving them my SSN.

Zigner

My adblocker blocked 53 advertisements. Yeah, it's a commercial site.

Pedas2

Correct.

273:1

I don't really understand the question. At some point, the question will come up whether CAR2 can convey good title, and any disparity between her birth certificate and a driver's license isn't going to have any relevance to that.

Prove it to whom?

No.

No one here can intelligently predict what a hypothetical police officer will or won't believe in a hypothetical scenario that hasn't been described thoroughly. However, in over three and a half decades as a licensed driver, I have been pulled over somewhere between 15-20 times and have never once been asked about my social security number. Even if I had been asked, my response either would have been no or to recite the number from memory because I have almost never carried my social security card on my person outside my home.

Howzabout you explain the purpose of all of these random questions? Do you have an actual legal issue that you're dealing with?

Thank you for the informative reply. Is a birth certificate and SSN supreme compared to other documents at establishing identity?

PayrollHRGuy

Thank you for the informative reply. Is a birth certificate and SSN supreme compared to other documents at establishing identity?
Establishing identity for what?

P.S. Don't ask questions in the middle of someone else's thread. If you want to know about the rules ask them in your own thread.

And to answer that question it depends on the context and the link. If someone has asked a question about where to find a lawyer and you reply with johnsmithlawyer.com it will likely be deleted. Pretty much any .com site that's main goal is selling something is going to get deleted.

Pedas2

Establishing identity for what?

P.S. Don't ask questions in the middle of someone else's thread. If you want to know about the rules ask them in your own thread.

And to answer that question it depends on the context and the link. If someone has asked a question about where to find a lawyer and you reply with johnsmithlawyer.com it will likely be deleted. Pretty much any .com site that's main goal is selling something is going to get deleted.

Identity in proving your name on a deed.

Zigner

Now it's just the same question being asked in the hopes of getting a different answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">