• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are there benefits to marrying before a K1 application?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubled11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYS

Hi!

My girlfriend has been to the USA three times already always on a J1 visa for work and travel.

She is leaving in Sept. to return to college for just one more year at which time I was planning to file for a K1-fiance visa.

Are there any benefits to getting married now, while she's still in the USA? The consulate said that it's not a good idea because it casts suspicions on whether she filed a false visa {e.g.- filed a work visa in order to really get married}.

Thank you,
I'll save you a piece of cake!!

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYS

Hi!

My girlfriend has been to the USA three times already always on a J1 visa for work and travel.

She is leaving in Sept. to return to college for just one more year at which time I was planning to file for a K1-fiance visa.

Are there any benefits to getting married now, while she's still in the USA? The consulate said that it's not a good idea because it casts suspicions on whether she filed a false visa {e.g.- filed a work visa in order to really get married}.

Thank you,
I'll save you a piece of cake!!
If she gets married now, she can't apply for a finace visa.
But there are tremendous benefits to returning to the US with an Immigrant Visa, which requires her to be married before applying.

I don't know in what context the consulate (what consulate) gave you that information, but I don't agree with the conclusion as you've posted it.
If she marries, leaves the US and returns with an Immigrant Visa, she's done everything the 'right' way. That she happened to meet someone here who she wants to marry is not fraudulent.
Unless she is only marrying for the immigration benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">