• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are There Laws to Protect a Ministry??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4Jacks

I am in Maryland, but I would also like to know about other state laws or Federal Laws.

I help run a Car Care Ministry at church. We change oil, Spark plugs, mainly we do a lot of Maintenence Stuff. Fortunatly we haven't had any problems, but the question came up. What if someone wanted to sue us? Are there any good Samaritian laws for ministries of this kind of work?

I probably don't know the correct questions to ask, but I appreciate all the information that you can give.

Thanks,

Patrick

BelizeBreeze

Good Samaritan laws are for helping in time of emergency such as you stop to help someone out of a burning building or give CPR.

This is NOT covered. A better suggestion would be to speak with a member of your church who is an attorney about what your strategy should be.

4Jacks

Thanks for the reply,
I do not have access to a lawyer who works with these types of cases.
So if "Good Samaritian" is the wrong name,

Are there any laws to protect a ministry, that offers a service, and does not take money, and does not profit???

Perhaps this is the wrong forum??

rmet4nzkx

Check with the church sponsor, their insurance should cover your ministry.

What are the qualifications for this ministry?
Is there a charge beyond parts?
Is it offered to members of the congregation only?
Is there an income or needs limit?
Do you have them sign any sort of agreement?

While there is usually little risk of getting sued if you are doing the work of a ministry, things can and do go wrong, such as cross threading when replacing spark and oil pan plugs, which can lead to expensive repairs, which would have been covered had the work been done with a mechanic in an insured shop. The other problem you potentially face is violations of tax laws.

R

rkh

re: Are There Laws to Protect a Ministry?

Check the general liability section of your church insurance policy. It probably covers members and volunteers acting on behalf of the church. Be sure to properly dispose of oil, antifreeze, and other hazardous materials, as it is good stewardship; and the policy may also have a pollution exclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">