• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are There Other Elder Tax Breaks I'm Missing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio

I'm doing my Mother's taxes in Turbo Tax Deluxe, as I do every year, and I noticed her refund is significantly lower for 2022. This isn't too surprising, because she only worked two days a week all of last year. And she's 68, so she also lost her Earned Income Credit.

I know the government probably considers social security benefits enough of a tax break, but is there anything else I can do to boost her refunds? She's down to about $50 from Federal and $150 from state. She just works a normal W2 cleaning crew job (widowed), with no special circumstances.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Ohio

I'm doing my Mother's taxes in Turbo Tax Deluxe, as I do every year, and I noticed her refund is significantly lower for 2022. This isn't too surprising, because she only worked two days a week all of last year. And she's 68, so she also lost her Earned Income Credit.

I know the government probably considers social security benefits enough of a tax break, but is there anything else I can do to boost her refunds? She's down to about $50 from Federal and $150 from state. She just works a normal W2 cleaning crew job (widowed), with no special circumstances.
If you use the Turbo Tax program correctly it should identify all the credits/deductions she is eligible to take. If you want to be sure you're not overlooking any benefits for seniors, take a look at IRS publication 554, Tax Guide for Seniors.

doucar

I would rather maximize my take home income rather than give the government an interest free loan that I may get back once a year.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Especially now that interest rates encourage saving.

To answer the OP's question, 2022 refunds are expected to be smaller overall than in 2021.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/26/heres-why-your-tax-refund-may-be-smaller-this-year.html

I owe so I'll file and pay in mid-April.
You do realize that you could file now and still pay in mid-April? That you would still be paying on time to do so? I do encourage people not to wait to file until the last minute. There are many reasons for that. The first and foremost is that knowledge is important. If you end up with unexpected results its far better to have some advance warning, than to only find out a few days before the deadline.

In addition, if there are going to be any technical glitches or bottlenecks it is going to happen during the end of the season and you don't want to get caught up in that kind of thing.

Every year I deal with many people who would have been far better off if they had filed in February or March.

Thanks all for your help! This is pretty much what I figured, but I'm trying to help her as much as I can, so was leaving no stone un-turned. But her situation as mentioned above, is pretty straight forward. Nothing special about her circumstances, and she only has minor allowable deductions through TurboTax (which does a great job walking you through, if you go slow and read everything).

And yes, she did work more last year. I was just hoping with her being a widowed elderly person on her own, there might be something I could do to ease her lot in life. But I guess I've done all I can in this situation.

bcr229

You do realize that you could file now and still pay in mid-April? That you would still be paying on time to do so?
I'm still waiting on one last K-1. In past years it's shown up around March 1. The rest of my return is done, I'm just waiting on that last number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">