• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are they within the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

junebug48

Nevada
My physicians put me on "bed rest" due to pregnancy complications in February 2006. At that time I was 3 months away from my due date; therefore my FMLA was exhausted around the time my baby was born on 5/15/06. Before going on leave, I discussed the FMLA with HR and understood that by law they didn't have to hold my job past the 12 weeks. However, when I expressed concern that they may terminate me after the 12 weeks was up (obviously I needed additional leave after childbirth), I was told by the department head that my job would be there when I returned (same position).

Now (one week before my return) I've been informed that my position has been eliminated and that if I don't come back on the agreed upon date, I resign. How can I resign from a position that no longer exists? They say there are other positions in the company that I can apply for (for less pay), but it's not garunteed. Shouldn't this be a termination on their part?

I would understand it if they had contacted me to let me know that my additional leave had been revoked, and that I had to come back after the 12 weeks were up or face the consequences; but they just let me think everything was okay and that my job was secure this whole time.

Can they do this simply because I went over the 12 weeks? They wouldn't let me return without a doctor's release, so I couldn't have come back after the 12 weeks anyway. With as much time as I have been off, I knew there was a possibility they wouldn't hold my job, but it just seems like they are going about this in a way to avoid officially terminating me (and to avoid any unemployment claim I may or may not file).

Is this legit? I think I prob just got screwed over.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They have no legal obligation to hold your job for you after the 12 weeks. Whether failing to return after a medical leave is a voluntary or involuntary termination is a matter of semantics only with no legal definition; a case can be made from both sides.

It's not what your company calls it that's going to matter when it comes to unemployment; it's going to be the REASON you did not return to work. Your employer does not make the decision; the state does, and they don't make it based solely on what your employer calls it; they make it on the merits of the situation.

junebug48

Thanks for your response

cbg said:
It's not what your company calls it that's going to matter when it comes to unemployment; it's going to be the REASON you did not return to work.
I can't go back for the simple reason that I cannot live on what they are willing to pay me now. I don't know how NV Unemployment would view that. Additionally, they have stated that there MAY be a position, but I would have to apply.

The position that could be available is almost exactly the same as the one I held previously, but without the title. They would be paying me a lot less money to basically do the same thing. Since I prob couldn't live on unemployment (and I've NEVER been out of work in my life) I would rather get a new job than pursue a claim. It's just the fact that they are doing this in such a shady way in order to get rid of me. I've worked there for 7 years without as much as a scratch on my record. The fact that they are doing this to a long-term employee just proves there is no real loyalty. No matter how many times I tell myself that this is typical behavior on their part (and should have been expected) it doesn't make the situation less suckier. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">