• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are vehicular barriers in my yard legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sure that if you parked an old car on your property where the trucks are turning they would stop before they hit it.
That's an out-of-the-box suggestion, but it might run in to problems if the municipality has restrictions on parking inoperative vehicles in public view.

LdiJ

I suppose it's up to the OP on whether to take the gamble, or simply have the local municipality deal with the problem.
Except that the odds of the local municipality agreeing to erect a barrier to protect just one residential property is pretty much slim to none.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Except that the odds of the local municipality agreeing to erect a barrier to protect just one residential property is pretty much slim to none.
Depending on the totality of the matter, it may be easier than you think.

ETA: Besides, it can't hurt to talk to them.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

justalayman

Oak trees have been known to stop cars and increase home values.
But if it is within the right of way, there is a good chance it will not be allowed. I’m speaking only to barricades within the ROW.

If the damage is beyond the right of way I suggest op set up a camera and record the activity. Then op can sue the person causing damage outside of the ROW but on his property. He would also have more options available as to what he did to prevent damage.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, when he's sued, and needs to defend himself whatever the outcome, that's better than having the municipality install protection for his yard that won't cause him to be sued?
I can't speak for Indiana and this OP's situation, and I have not read the entire thread. But I was asleep on the couch when a car crashed into the HOUSE across the street. After living in a trailer for a few months while the house had the car removed from the living room and the repairs made, the owner of the house across the street installed the boulders AJ suggested. Yes, the boulders got run into. But since the car had no business driving onto his yard in the first place, no fault attached to the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">