• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are you allowed to sue your midwife?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ntttpa

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My midwife ignored my pleas to end a very long and hard labor with a c-section. She intimidated and lied to my husband that I would not be safe during the procedure and then told me six weeks later I would have been fine. I am asking this because the birth was so traumatic for me that I now suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

ellencee

You can sue a midwife for professional negligence but you are never going to win a claim of a C-section would have been better than delivering a healthy baby after 24 hours of labor and the delivery of a healthy baby with a healthy mom. Consider it your Red Badge of Courage and move on.

EC

rmet4nzkx

ntttpa said:

My midwife ignored my pleas to end a very long and hard labor with a c-section. She intimidated and lied to my husband that I would not be safe during the procedure and then told me six weeks later I would have been fine. I am asking this because the birth was so traumatic for me that I now suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
You can blame Eve for your Travail.
Hezekiah cried out in pain and anxiety: "For the children are come to the birth, and there is not strength to bring forth" (Isa. 37:3). The analogy to childbirth is even more graphic in the Septuagint: "For the pangs are come upon the travailing woman, but she has not strength to bring forth."

barry1817

you can sue anybody, but that doesn't mean you are right

ntttpa said:

You can sue anybody but that doesn't mean that you have a case, and that doesn't preclude a person from winning and filing a counter suit for a malicious lawsuit.

In medical you need an expert to show that the care provided was below the standard, that you were harmed by this, and that there are some damages.

Personally I dislike a person being dishonest, and creating the kind of turf war that is being seen, but that is an ethical question, and one has to wonder what your midwife would have done in a real emergency. but that is not you case. And are you ready to say that you wouldn't have post traumatic syndrome even if C-section was done?

[email protected]

ntttpa

Both my psychologist and psychiatrist believe that I would not have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder if she had not done what she did. She knew that I had been through some very traumatic incidents in the past and that I needed to feel in control of my labor. She took that away by using everything she could against me.

After more than 24 hours of labor she was still using my doctor's advice not to get an "elective" c-section, telling me the baby's head was too low, and that it was major surgery and the baby and I could die. She then did nothing about getting my consent about elevating the amount of pitocin I was getting and the epidural. She just did it. She then told me that she would check me in two hours, which she never did. She left me there for over four hours, until I was fully dialated. I would not feel so robbed and have this stress if she has kept her promise of checking me in two hours and/or telling me what she was going to do. I had no information and gave no consent. This is why I have the stress. I sent her a letter two weeks ago telling her about how I felt and that I would really like to know why she made the decisions she did, but I have heard nothing.

I am not sure if this helps or makes a case. I am also sure I gave much more information than you needed. Sorry about venting.

I want to make sure she does not treat someone else the way she treated me. I purposefully switched to the midwife practice because I was assured I would be in charge of my labor and would be given all of the information needed to make a decisions and that all decisions would be mine. That is definately not the type of care I received.

rmet4nzkx

Sounds like the cause of your "PTSD" iwas pregnancy, therefore you should blame your partner not the midwife or doctor. You had unrealistic expectations re L&D. Having a C section is NOT being in control of your labor and you and the baby are healthier for having a normal vaginal birth. Induced labors are often long and difficult, but if you are having ineffective contractions the Rx needs to be increased. It looks like leaving you alone did the trick and you dialated. There were very good reasons for doing what she did.

If you are traumatized by birth, don't get pregnant or hire a surrogate

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">