• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona DUI First Offense Jail Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

I can tell you that even if you only get "one night" if you're not completely sober, they won't release you, so I wouldn't tie one on prior to going in.

quincy

If rchavens was sentenced to only one night in jail for his/her DUI, that indicates the judge reduced the 10-day jail time for first offenders because rchavens successfully completed an alcohol/drug screening treatment program.

rchavens has the right to refuse a breathalyzer test but if s/he arrives at the jail visibly drunk, s/he can be transported to a treatment center or hospital.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Eh? What makes you think an incarcerated person has to refuse to submit to testing? And if he's just drunk, they'll just lock him up until he blows sober.

quincy

Eh? What makes you think an incarcerated person has to refuse to submit to testing? And if he's just drunk, they'll just lock him up until he blows sober.
rchavens is not being arrested and jailed on a DUI. He is serving his court-ordered sentence on his DUI.

FlyingRon

Yes, so what makes you think an incarcerated person has a right to refuse testing? Believe me, even on these quick dips, they'll test and not release if they're still under the influence.

quincy

Yes, so what makes you think an incarcerated person has a right to refuse testing? Believe me, even on these quick dips, they'll test and not release if they're still under the influence.
He's not incarcerated until he is incarcerated.

My understanding is that, in Arizona, they will send the visibly intoxicated person to a treatment center or to the hospital instead of jail.

FlyingRon

Eh? He'll be incarcerated when he shows up to serve his sentence.
What does Arizona have to do with being locked up in Colorado?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Eh? He'll be incarcerated when he shows up to serve his sentence.
What does Arizona have to do with being locked up in Colorado?
He's not being locked up in Colorado. The subject line states a DUI in Arizona, and in the Phoenix area is there is a jail known as Durango. That is obviously the facility referred to, not a jail in Durango Colorado. ;)

quincy

rchavens will "self surrender" to the jail (Durango) to serve his one day sentence.

rchavens will be refused intake if he shows up intoxicated. He can refuse a breathalyzer. He can be transported to a treatment facility/hospital if he is intoxicated.

If he is refused intake, he will have to return to court for an amended order and sentence hearing.

quincy

Ah, missed the subject line.
That has happened to several of us. Posters have been adding state names in the titles and are not answering the "what is the name of your state?" question at the start of their posts. Not sure why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">