• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arlington: Failure to Pay Full Time Attention

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JackFJ30

What is the name of your state? Virginia, Arlington County

Hi everyone - Thanks in advance for your help!
I live was pulled over while dozing off a few nights ago. It was a long week (I hadn’t slept much), and was driving home late from a colleague’s house. The cop saw me falling asleep, so pulled me over and asked if I had been drinking. I wasn’t drunk, though had a couple beers earlier, so my breathalyzer test was above .08. Because I was not drunk, coherent - just tired! - and don’t have any record to speak of, the officer said he would let me go with a “Failure to Pay Full Time Attention”. In Arlington County, though, this appears to be a misdemeanor with punishment up to $100 fine and/or 10 days in jail (!!), which seems very incongruous to me. Any advice?

Just Blue

I live was pulled over while dozing off a few nights ago. It was a long week (I hadn’t slept much), and was driving home late from a colleague’s house. The cop saw me falling asleep, so pulled me over and asked if I had been drinking. I wasn’t drunk, though had a couple beers earlier, so my breathalyzer test was above .08. Because I was not drunk, coherent - just tired! - and don’t have any record to speak of, the officer said he would let me go with a “Failure to Pay Full Time Attention”. In Arlington County, though, this appears to be a misdemeanor with punishment up to $100 fine and/or 10 days in jail (!!), which seems very incongruous to me. Any advice?
You were falling asleep at the wheel and you find it "incongruous" that you were cited? You're damn lucky you didn't kill any one.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Above 0.08 is legally drunk in Virginia.

So, don't complain. You were given a huuuge break.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I *suspect* that the OP forgot to type the word "not" before he typed "above .08".

Pay the fine and be very grateful to the officer.
It's unlikely you will be incarcerated as it costs the city, county or state a lot of money to keep someone in jail for 10 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">