• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears in Child Support - Sheriff entering MY home - looking for my son - NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simmonsj53

N.C. My son is in arrears on his child support. He has a court order for his custody. My son does live with me, but I rarely see him, and when he is at my home, he never tells me where he is going. He has problems, including telling the truth.

In the past I have granted the sheriff access to my home to see if my son is here, thinking that I have lied about sons location.
Am I required to provide access to the sheriff into MY home, after I have already stated my son is not here? New sheriff came by yesterday very belligerent, insinuating I
was lying, acting threatening towards me. I am 65 years old.

Thanks.... JS

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why does the sheriff care? Is there a warrant out for your son's arrest?

simmonsj53

Why does the sheriff care? Is there a warrant out for your son's arrest?
I am assuming that when the authorities announce we have a court order for your appearance in court, and they apprehend him, and take him to jail, that 'court order' IS a warrant, I am assuming.

Zigner

If there's a warrant for his arrest, then they may, in fact, have the right to enter his home to search for him.

simmonsj53

Just to clarify, since my son does live with me, my home is also considered his home. I guess that is a stupid question.

Regardless, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Zigner

Just to clarify, since my son does live with me, my home is also considered his home. I guess that is a stupid question.
That is correct - and no worries...I know your confusion comes from frustration. I just hope that your frustration is appropriately with your son and not with the sheriff deputies who are just doing their job.

simmonsj53

I have never been anything but polite, truthful, and cooperative with the deputies. I can assure you, my son has felt my wrath..... and I am so disappointed in him, and naturally blame myself.

My Mother always said.. 'You never know who you're giving birth to'. No need to respond, I've already taken much of your time this morning. Thanks again ... JS

Zigner

I have never been anything but polite, truthful, and cooperative with the deputies. I can assure you, my son has felt my wrath..... and I am so disappointed in him, and naturally blame myself.

My Mother always said.. 'You never know who you're giving birth to'. No need to respond, I've already taken much of your time this morning. Thanks again ... JS
You are welcome - and (to borrow from my esteemed colleague), thank you for the thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">