• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears remitted without prejudice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

OP wrote "Mercer County DRS rec;d deft's documents from state of MI ". That doesn't sound like a transfer to me.
Maybe. Mercer County received the documents from the son in Michigan. Michigan “remitted” a child support arrearage and a medical debt, with prejudice.

quincy

Sure. Let's go with that.
It sounds to me like Michigan has cleared the Michigan case file after handing it off to Pennsylvania.

But of course we are all guessing. :)

April should tell her son to check with either Michigan’s Friend of the Court or with Pennsylvania to find out the status of his child support obligations and the outstanding medical debt.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
One thing I have to say? If this were MY child? He'd have more to worry about than anything from a court. Because he would have to face me, The Look and The Hand first. $18K in arrears (even if that includes accrued interest)? Aww hell, no.

quincy

One thing I have to say? If this were MY child? He'd have more to worry about than anything from a court. Because he would have to face me, The Look and The Hand first. $18K in arrears (even if that includes accrued interest)? Aww hell, no.
I would be interested in hearing the reason for the son’s failure to pay his child support. That is a sizable arrearage.

Perhaps he lost his job/his business? Michigan has a large number of unemployed workers due to Covid-19 closures. The son apparently was not relying on any other state aid. The form noted “non-tanf” (temporary assistance for needy families, which has a 60 month lifetime limit).

I hope the children have what they need in Pennsylvania.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">