• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest as juvenile.. do I have to admit on job application?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCJohn

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was arrested when I was 16 for a misdemeanor drug paraphanellia (sp?) charge.. I ended up going to court, and recieved a $100 fine with $100 court costs, with no additional punishment, meaning I got outta there with a $200 payment. In December, when I turn 18, I plan on getting a job, but I know alot of job applications inquire if you get arrested or not. Do I have to answer this question as I got arrested as a juvenile and will be an adult? I know I can get my record esponged for like several thousand dollars, but I can't exactly afford that. Am I allowed to lie? I think this is a invasion of privacy, but I understand the company has a right to know...

Son of Slam

NCJohn said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was arrested when I was 16 for a misdemeanor drug paraphanellia (sp?) charge.. I ended up going to court, and recieved a $100 fine with $100 court costs, with no additional punishment, meaning I got outta there with a $200 payment. In December, when I turn 18, I plan on getting a job, but I know alot of job applications inquire if you get arrested or not. Do I have to answer this question as I got arrested as a juvenile and will be an adult? I know I can get my record esponged for like several thousand dollars, but I can't exactly afford that. Am I allowed to lie? I think this is a invasion of privacy, but I understand the company has a right to know...

I think it is very commendable that you plan on getting a job. Can you say, "Would you like fries with that"? If you lie you may get the job. If you tell the truth you probably will not get the job. The main deal with lying is that if they ever decide to fire you they can just say you lied on your application and you are SOL. If you tell the truth you wont have to worry about it. So, tell the truth.

NCJohn

I'd doubt highly I'd lie about anything unless it is legal. Do you think a juvenile arrest is a big deal to companies?

rmet4nzkx

You have to tell the truth, answer the questions honestly, no matter whether you were a juvenile or if it is expunged. You may have to explain it, something you didn't think about when you were young and stupid and drugs meant so much more to you then. This will affect you for the rest of your life.

Welcome to reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">