• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest of Canadian in Ohio and Miranda

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spirnak

Missouri

Hi!

My nephew, who is a Canadian, was arrested for a verbal threat in Ohio. He was asked what his salary was, and he told them, so they said since he makes over $XX money, he can afford his own attorney, so one will not be appointed for him.

In actuality, he cannot afford an attorney, plus he doesnt know a soul in Toledo, so can they do that, deny him attorney representation like that?

Furthermore, his bail was set extremely high ($8500) simply for a verbal threat...does this sound right?

Can anyone recommend a good criminal attorney in Toledo?

Thanks!

S

H

hexeliebe

In actuality, he cannot afford an attorney, plus he doesnt know a soul in Toledo, so can they do that, deny him attorney representation like that?
Can anyone recommend a good criminal attorney in Toledo?
So which is it? Can he afford an attorney or not? If not, then why are you looking for one?

Nothing in your post touches on any LEGAL issue except for the denial of a court-appointed attorney and from the little you posted here there's nothing to suggest that he cannot afford his own attorney.

S

spirnak

hexeliebe said:
So which is it? Can he afford an attorney or not? If not, then why are you looking for one?

No, he cannot afford an attorney. Sure, he makes ok money, but he is young, in debt up to his eyeballs and can barely affort rent, let alone an attorney. The reason I asked is in case we will have to try and get one.

Nothing in your post touches on any LEGAL issue except for the denial of a court-appointed attorney and from the little you posted here there's nothing to suggest that he cannot afford his own attorney.
Would you like to see a list of his debts? Sheesh.....

S

spirnak

hexeliebe said:

No, he cannot afford an attorney. Sure, he makes ok money, but he is young, in debt up to his eyeballs and can barely affort rent, let alone an attorney. The reason I asked is in case we will have to try and get one.

I just think it is rather bizarre for him to be arrested on suspicion of a verbal threat, and have such a high bail set and be told he has to get his own attorney when he doesnt know a person in the United States except me....doesnt make sense to me.

H

hexeliebe

I don't care how much he owes and neither does the court. Those are his debts and it was his decision to incur them. It does not grant him the right to free representation.

I just think it is rather bizarre for him to be arrested on suspicion of a verbal threat, and have such a high bail set and be told he has to get his own attorney when he doesnt know a person in the United States except me....doesnt make sense to me.
It is not a high bail for this type of case. Bail is not a favor the court does for the defendant. It is imposed to insure the defendant's attendance at court.

Since your cousin is a resident of another country, there is a very real possibility that he will not show up for trial, therefore, the bail amount.

All perfectly legal.

As for him not knowing someone in the U.S. that's an excuse, not a valid reason. he can call anyone of a hundred bail bondsmen and pay $850 to get out of jail.

S

spirnak

{QUOTE}As for him not knowing someone in the U.S. that's an excuse, not a valid reason. he can call anyone of a hundred bail bondsmen and pay $850 to get out of jail. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, he was told that he was not entitled to the 'pay 10%' rule since he was not a citizen of the US, so he would have had to pay the entire $8500. His court case is this friday, so we will just have to wait and see, likely without attorney representation.

Thanks for the info

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">