• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

He is in Mississippi, not Louisiana - but buying a ticket now makes sense. I don’t quite know why the 16th of December is the preferred date.
Gulfport to LAX is $152.

I'm guessing OP wants 12/16 to buy the ticket two weeks in advance, which is generally less than one purchased less than two weeks ahead of time.

zddoodah

I told the public defender to have the court date set up on December 16, because I get SSI social security income on December 1. But the Judge set up on December 2nd.
I hope you understand that, no matter how much your lawyer might have tried to get this "court date" scheduled on or after a particular date, the ultimate decision about scheduling is entirely up to the judge.

So I won't be able to afford to buy a plane ticket to fly out there to California the next day.
Why are you, a resident of Mississippi, being criminally prosecuted in California?

In the context of any given case, there may be any number of "court dates." What is the purpose of the "court date" in question? Given that you have an attorney, is it something you actually need to attend in person?

Does the police come to my house if the Judge issue Warrant for my arrest for not showing up for the court?
That depends on all relevant facts and circumstances. I assume it's obvious that, if a judge in California issues an arrest warrant, the sheriff in the county where the case is pending isn't going to immediately drive or fly nearly 2,000 miles to pick you up in MS. The sheriff and prosecutor in California would have to seek assistance from the court and sheriff in Mississippi where you live, and whether they'd go to that effort and expense depends in large part on what crime(s) you've been charged with.

What does the Arrest Warrant do? Especially during the COVID 19.
An arrest warrant is an authorization from the court to a sheriff or other law enforcement agency to arrest a person. COVID has nothing to do with it.

Do they let me fly on the plane for free to California?
I'm not sure who "they" are, but I very much doubt anyone is going to let you fly for free.

Or do they just have me sitting in jail forever?
Huh?

quincy

Gulfport to LAX is $152.

I'm guessing OP wants 12/16 to buy the ticket two weeks in advance, which is generally less than one purchased less than two weeks ahead of time.
He potentially can purchase the tickets now so he can make the December 2 hearing.

As to Doodah’s apparent confusion about “sitting in jail:” If you are arrested in Mississippi on a California warrant, you can sit in jail for up to 30 days while waiting for California to decide whether or not to extradite you.

FlyingRon

Why are you, a resident of Mississippi, being criminally prosecuted in California?
Because it is alleged that he committed a crime there. It's quite possible to commit a crime in a state without ever setting foot there.
For example, if he made a criminal threat against someone who resides in California, be it by phone, mail, or internet, he could be subject to charges there. Cyberstalking is another.

quincy

It is also possible that he committed a crime when visiting California and then he left California, either before he was arrested and charged or after he was arrested and charged.

There are still a lot of unknowns.

JustFit

I deleted my previous response to your thread because I didn’t read your original post very carefully. Sorry.

But I still am not entirely sure I understand what your current situation is.

Were you charged with a crime in California while you were still in California? Were you assigned a public defender at that time? Or were you charged with a crime in California after you had already left California and returned to Mississippi?

The type of arrest warrant and how it is handled can depend on the reason for the issuance of the arrest warrant.

If a court hearing is scheduled for December 2 in California and you don’t appear as scheduled, a failure to appear warrant can be issued by the court for your arrest.

As Taxing Matters indicated, what happens with the arrest warrant largely depends on the crime you are said to have committed and, potentially, on when you left California and why.

Would you care to provide a few more details?
No. No. Yes.

I went to California to visit my sister's birth town. I drove around San Diego and I tried to go to the Navy hospital, but they wouldn't let me in. I have to be in the military to go to that hospital. So I just went by the famous ZOO.
Sightseeing.

And at the hotel I collaspe, at Walmart, I collaspe again. I have health problem. I wanted the hotel and Walmart's insurance to pay for my Emergency medical bill.
But oops... saw that California Medi-CAL can pay my ER.
I forgot to tell the Insurance companies to forget about it.

I just thought that they should pay the medical bill. I don't know their policy.
So they said I committed insurance fraud.

zddoodah

Pulling teeth is so much fun.

So...you were visiting California, went to the hospital and now, for reasons that don't entirely matter but aren't particularly clear, you're now being prosecuted for insurance fraud. Correct?

What is the purpose of the "court date" in question?

Given that you have an attorney, is it something you actually need to attend in person?

Subject to how you answer those questions, it is rather unlikely that anyone is going to come to Mississippi and seek to extradite you for this. However, you should seek your attorney's advice and follow no advice other than what you receiver from him/her.

JustFit

Pulling teeth is so much fun.

So...you were visiting California, went to the hospital and now, for reasons that don't entirely matter but aren't particularly clear, you're now being prosecuted for insurance fraud. Correct?

What is the purpose of the "court date" in question?

Given that you have an attorney, is it something you actually need to attend in person?

Subject to how you answer those questions, it is rather unlikely that anyone is going to come to Mississippi and seek to extradite you for this. However, you should seek your attorney's advice and follow no advice other than what you receiver from him/her.
What is prosecuted?

The Judge wants to know if I am the real person.

The Public Defender wants to extend the court date to April.

I don't understand why I need pay plane ticket just so they can put me in jail.
Why do I want to do that? I think the police should put me on a plane with first class seat, so I can eat some free meal. Maybe some steak on the plane. And and Wine. Wouldn't it be nice?

quincy

What is prosecuted?

Why do I want to do that? I think the police should put me on a plane with first class seat, so I can eat some free meal. Maybe some steak on the plane. And and Wine. Wouldn't it be nice?
Thank you for answering my questions, JustFit.

How much money is involved in the insurance fraud claim? How did you learn of it?

If the public defender wants to extend the court date to April, that sounds like it solves your December 2 court date problem, doesn’t it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is prosecuted?

As was alluded to above, you will be billed for the costs...and that bill will be considerably larger than regular plane fare.

JustFit

Thank you for answering my questions, JustFit.

How much money is involved in the insurance fraud claim? How did you learn of it?

If the public defender wants to extend the court date to April, that sounds like it solves your December 2 court date problem, doesn’t it?
I don't know. I don't remember the hospital bill. I was only there for a few hours. Around a hundred dollars for the hospital bill. I only had MRI.

Yes it would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">