• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I don't know. I don't remember the hospital bill. I was only there for a few hours. Around a hundred dollars for the hospital bill. I only had MRI.

Yes it would.
Insurance fraud can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. Although I question your “hundred dollar” estimate, because medical services generally far exceed that amount, insurance fraud under $950 would be a misdemeanor offense and there is an “intent to defraud” element that could provide you with a good defense, if your attorney can’t get the charge against you dismissed outright. Insurance fraud seems an unusual charge given the facts as you have described them here.

You will need to rely on the advice of your attorney because he has access to all of the facts that support the prosecutor’s charge - but I would ask your attorney about the possibility of a “telephonic hearing” so you can remain in Mississippi instead of traveling back to California. Otherwise, the April delay in the hearing might be something you seriously want to consider. Covid-19 might be under better control by then and you will also have the opportunity to save up money should you need to finance a trip out West.

Despite Mass_Shyster’s tongue-in-cheek suggestion, I do NOT recommend you plead guilty to anything. Rely on your attorney’s advice.

Last edited:

JustFit

Definition #3.

I'll try one more time:

What is the purpose of the "court date" in question?

Given that you have an attorney, is it something you actually need to attend in person?
The purpose of the court date is for a hearing. The DA supposes to show me evidence and tell me
who is the victim...

Yes, he can represent me. I have never went to that court. The Judge just wants to see me in person.
At first the Judge wanted me to come October 3rd, but the court postpone the date because of
Covid 19.
But my public Defender went over there anyway. I told him not to go to... I told him to wait
for the court to set up the next date. He was rushing the court.

Then the court wanted to do the microsoft team video with me on November 4th... but I told the public
defender that my cell phone internet doesn't work.
And so the public defender told the Judge this and the Judge set up December 2nd.

The public defender asked me if I want him to go there on Dec 2nd. I told him no, just let the cops
pick me up.

quincy

The purpose of the court date is for a hearing. The DA supposes to show me evidence and tell me
who is the victim...

Yes, he can represent me. I have never went to that court. The Judge just wants to see me in person.
At first the Judge wanted me to come October 3rd, but the court postpone the date because of
Covid 19.
But my public Defender went over there anyway. I told him not to go to... I told him to wait
for the court to set up the next date. He was rushing the court.

Then the court wanted to do the microsoft team video with me on November 4th... but I told the public
defender that my cell phone internet doesn't work.
And so the public defender told the Judge this and the Judge set up December 2nd.

The public defender asked me if I want him to go there on Dec 2nd. I told him no, just let the cops
pick me up.
So you don’t yet know what evidence of fraud the prosecutor has to support the charge? How were you first notified of the insurance fraud claim?

You really need to start asking your attorney some questions and you need to make sure that the attorney knows everything that happened when you were in California.

Although public defenders are often overworked (and underpaid), your public defender represents you. Everything you tell him is confidential.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Although public defenders are often overworked (and underpaid), your public defender represents you. Everything you tell him is confidential.
The corollary to that is that things posted on the internet are NOT confidential. Considering that the OP already admitted to the crime, he would be smart to not post anything further about it here.

LdiJ

I don't know. I don't remember the hospital bill. I was only there for a few hours. Around a hundred dollars for the hospital bill. I only had MRI.

Yes it would.
An MRI normally costs several thousand dollars.

quincy

An MRI normally costs several thousand dollars.
That is my understanding as well. An MRI would not be ordered without additional testing, too. It probably would be unusual for someone to walk out of an emergency room with less than $5000 worth of treatment and services.

LdiJ

That is my understanding as well. An MRI would not be ordered without additional testing, too. It probably would be unusual for someone to walk out of an emergency room with less than $5000 worth of treatment and services.
I wholeheartedly agree.

quincy

If he collapsed at the hotel and he collapsed again at Walmart, both the hotel and Walmart probably called EMTs. JustFit can be billed for these EMT services, whether he was the one who called for an ambulance or not.

JustFit is best off at this point to rely solely on the advice and direction of his attorney. There is too much that is not known about the prosecutor’s case against JustFit.

Like Zigner said, JustFit would be smart to not disclose here more than he already has.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">