• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested at 17, court date at 18. Assault and battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lelerodriguez

Massachusetts State.

I got into some issues at 17 where I was being charged with assault and battery. Court is tomorrow now I am 18 being charged as an adult.
A few questions , if I get the 1000$ fine how would I even go about paying this (not cost wise but process of paying)? And from what I’ve heard I can do anything from up to 15 days and a fine to 2.5 years. Is 15 days an actual sentence for A&B plus a fine ?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Massachusetts State.

I got into some issues at 17 where I was being charged with assault and battery. Court is tomorrow now I am 18 being charged as an adult.
A few questions , if I get the 1000$ fine how would I even go about paying this (not cost wise but process of paying)? And from what I’ve heard I can do anything from up to 15 days and a fine to 2.5 years. Is 15 days an actual sentence for A&B plus a fine ?
Show up early and head straight for the probation department. They will have you do an intake to see if you qualify for a public defender. If you have the ability to hire an attorney, it's possible he or she may be able to get the case dismissed prior to arraignment and remanded to the juvenile court. I believe the recent Criminal Justice Reform Act may help you there.

Do not discuss the facts of the case with anyone except YOUR lawyer.

The courts have recently implemented a way to pay fines online, but they tack on 3.5% as a convenience fee. See https://www.mass.gov/epay-in-the-courts

You're not going to be paying any fines tomorrow unless you decide to plead guilty or admit to sufficient facts. I do not recommend doing that unless you attorney advises it.

Last edited:

quincy

My youth worker has been 100% not helpful
Mass_Shyster is an attorney in Massachusetts. He offered you good advice. Plead not guilty and see if you qualify for a public defender. If you are not eligible for a public defender, it would be to your benefit to hire an attorney between the time you plead not guilty and the time for your next scheduled hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">