• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for loose prescription drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pepperlakeview

Georgia

A friend was pulled over after swerving for a pothole. The police searched her purse and found a lot of loose prescription pills in the bottom of her purse. All of the pills were prescribed by her doctor and the original containers were also in her purse. Somehow they had opened and the pills fell out. They arrested her! She is now facing Felony charges! Her arraignment is next week and her court appointed attorney never showed for their meeting. When she spoke with her she just said, I couldn't make it, I will see you at the arraignment. I looked up the charges and she is facing many years of prison time for this. Could this really happen? Has anyone heard of this before? I never knew that it was illegal to carry prescription pills outside of the original container.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

don't preview your post. The preview function is kind of quirky and likes to "eat" posts

Don't forget to put what state this happened in!:)

Ladyback1

Georgia

A friend was pulled over after swerving for a pothole. The police searched her purse and found a lot of loose prescription pills in the bottom of her purse. All of the pills were prescribed by her doctor and the original containers were also in her purse. Somehow they had opened and the pills fell out. They arrested her! She is now facing Felony charges! Her arraignment is next week and her court appointed attorney never showed for their meeting. When she spoke with her she just said, I couldn't make it, I will see you at the arraignment. I looked up the charges and she is facing many years of prison time for this. Could this really happen? Has anyone heard of this before? I never knew that it was illegal to carry prescription pills outside of the original container.

And let me guess: The pills were controlled substances (pain killers, muscle relaxants, etc.)?

LdiJ

I suspect that your friend isn't being entirely forthcoming with you.
While that is probably true, I have had pill bottles come open after rattling around in my purse for long periods of time...or even break. I carry my whole life in my purse, so I can see how it could happen. If its true that she had the actual bottles in her purse, I am kind of surprised that the police and DA took it so far.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While that is probably true, I have had pill bottles come open after rattling around in my purse for long periods of time...or even break. I carry my whole life in my purse, so I can see how it could happen. If its true that she had the actual bottles in her purse, I am kind of surprised that the police and DA took it so far.
I have no doubt that the pills were loose in the purse. I suspect that there is more to the story, though.

pepperlakeview

Her sons have had trouble with the law and she is convinced that they are railroading her. I just want to know if she can really go to prison if she has proof of prescription.

Ladyback1

Yes, both pain killers and muscle relaxers!
Well, your friend is in a bit of a pickle, isn't he/she?

Now, here's a few issues:
1) pulled over for swerving to miss a pot hole? I don't think you're getting all of the story
2) if she was only pulled over for swerving to miss the elusive pot hole, what probable cause did the cops have to search her purse?
3) What quantity of pills? (I bet your friend told you that the bottles had just been filled and were full--so a lot of pills...) I *think* quantity is important because just like other drugs (street drugs) the quantity can determine whether she is charged w/ possession or intent to distribute. I could be wrong on that, and I know there are others here who will either substantiate my thought, or will tell me I'm full of fluff-n-stuff.

LdiJ

Well, your friend is in a bit of a pickle, isn't he/she?

Now, here's a few issues:
1) pulled over for swerving to miss a pot hole? I don't think you're getting all of the story
2) if she was only pulled over for swerving to miss the elusive pot hole, what probable cause did the cops have to search her purse?
3) What quantity of pills? (I bet your friend told you that the bottles had just been filled and were full--so a lot of pills...) I *think* quantity is important because just like other drugs (street drugs) the quantity can determine whether she is charged w/ possession or intent to distribute. I could be wrong on that, and I know there are others here who will either substantiate my thought, or will tell me I'm full of fluff-n-stuff.
I dunno...if she has valid prescriptions and they are reasonably recent, I am not sure that the burden of proof would be there. Part of the reason why I am kind of buying this story is that it seems unlikely that a drug abuser would have pills rattling around in the bottom of their purse (they wouldn't last long enough to get there) and neither would someone selling pills.

While we don't have to follow the doctrine of "innocent until proven guilty" in coming up with our opinions...the courts actually DO.

Ladyback1

I dunno...if she has valid prescriptions and they are reasonably recent, I am not sure that the burden of proof would be there. Part of the reason why I am kind of buying this story is that it seems unlikely that a drug abuser would have pills rattling around in the bottom of their purse (they wouldn't last long enough to get there) and neither would someone selling pills.

While we don't have to follow the doctrine of "innocent until proven guilty" in coming up with our opinions...the courts actually DO.
You'd be amazed!
Valid prescriptions do not always equate to legal---Doctor shopping for narcotics is huge in this day and age!

I am just not seeing the connect with the whole PC for the stop (swerving) to searching the purse.

pepperlakeview

She is a friend that lives in another state but we talk almost every day and she is not a drug abuser. She has many medical issues including cancer. I have researched and found that most states have laws regarding carrying prescription pills outside of the container and it is deemed illegal. I appreciate everyone's responses and I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Proserpina

You'd be amazed!
Valid prescriptions do not always equate to legal---Doctor shopping for narcotics is huge in this day and age!

I am just not seeing the connect with the whole PC for the stop (swerving) to searching the purse.

Define "valid" first.

But before you do, let's actually see what she's been charged with... ;)

We need HER state, too - not the OP's state.

(Yep, I'm going somewhere specific with this)

Proserpina

She is a friend that lives in another state but we talk almost every day and she is not a drug abuser. She has many medical issues including cancer. I have researched and found that most states have laws regarding carrying prescription pills outside of the container and it is deemed illegal. I appreciate everyone's responses and I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Pepper, with all due respect, you cannot say she's not a drug abuser. You don't even see her - you have an out-of-state friend and you really don't have any idea what she's doing 24/7.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">