• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested for shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobynnHarris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My young friend, 16 years old, was caught shoplifting at the mall. She had stolen items from 5 other stores in addition to the store who's security caught them. (There were three of them in this together.)

At the time of the event the Clackamas Sheriff cited them up and released them to their parents. The Sherif said they would need to be booked at a county juveline facility in the near future.

My friend, with no prior criminal record, was charged with 2nd degree theft from the store that caught them. The other stores may also file charges which could lead to four 3rd degree counts.

The one store's security employee said their store always files suits against the minor and the minor's parents.

Can anyone exlain to me what my friend and her parents are facing in the near and distant future? Thanks for any explanations!

Most importantly: Do the parents and child need to get lawyers right away??

THANKS

The Occultist

If the child has no prior offenses, he should expect the following a few things, such as fines and community service. Assuming the child has a clean record, jail time should be unlikely.

Beyond legal fees, the minor (which technically means the parents) should expect civil restitution and a civil demand from the store that was the victim to the crime, which could be anywhere from a few dollars to a couple thousand dollars.

I always advise going into trial with the aid of an attorney. Local attorneys tend to know what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable odds. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultation, so take advantage of this and sit down with an attorney or two to see what insight they have to offer.

^^^X2 Smart advice.
After this episode, those teens can not afford to get in trouble again in that State. Judges don't like hearing multiple team shoplifting charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">