• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have a question. I was pulled over for speeding this morning (going 26 in a 20) while I was taking my son to his soccer game. My car is legal, I have proper insurance and my children and I were seat belted properly. When they police officer ran my licence he said it had been suspended. He then told me to lock up my car and for me and my four year old daughter and 7 year old son had to get in the police car. He then took us to the police station, searched me and my purse and made me kids sit in a room alone. He wrote up my tickets, took my photo and them made me sign a paper saying that I was giving him a $500 signature bond. Then he had me call for a ride. My first question is should a male police officer alone - with only one other male officer in the entire building be able to search me (I am female) Does he have the right to empty and search my purse? I thought if I were under arrest that I should atleast be read my rights?

When I got home I called the department of motor vehicals. I had no idea that I was driving on a suspended license. The department told me that a judgement for an accident nearly 2 years ago is what caused my license to be suspended. I knew about the judgement. I had paid the state the proper fees to sent them a copy of the pay arrangement that me and the other party had made, and they cashed the check, but never informed me that they did not accept the agreement because it was not notorized. I am not sure what to do now? I go to court in a few weeks. I am full time law student (just started MU in August) and I am also a single parent with two small children. I really can't afford an attorney and I have not been living in Missouri or going to school long enough to make any good contacts I can ask about this.

I really appreciate any advice you can give me. I cannot afford to loose my license for a year if I am convicted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential