• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested on brothers warrant, spent a week in jail, HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I understand OP isn't a twin, but brothers can look very much alike. My point was that perhaps OP should consider getting a secret tattoo to prevent this from happening in the future.
A secret tattoo probably will not prevent identity theft, or the arrest by police on the brother's warrants, but I suppose it couldn't hurt (well ... except for the whole tattoo needling and stuff).

A name change is also a suggestion made previously that could be explored.

The Michigan State Police did not mention tattoos or name changes as ways to remedy identity theft ... but both are certainly options.

oldpumpkin

I understand OP isn't a twin, but brothers can look very much alike. My point was that perhaps OP should consider getting a secret tattoo to prevent this from happening in the future.
the thing is, my brother is full of tattoes and i dont have any, and i dont really look like him at all, the tattoo thing wouldn't work in this case

quincy

the thing is, my brother is full of tattoes and i dont have any, and i dont really look like him at all, the tattoo thing wouldn't work in this case
It probably wouldn't work in any case anyway.

Locating your brother at your father's house should not be too difficult for the police.

oldpumpkin

OP,

When did you first contact your attorney after your arrest?
when i was in jail, i was never arraigned in court and didnt get a chance to get a attorney, i sat their for a week begging to speak to the officer who supposedly arrested me before, and when he finally spoke to me, he realized the mistake he made and not long i was released and charges were dropped against me then my brother was recharged with the originally crime on top of identity theft

quincy

when i was in jail, i was never arraigned in court and didnt get a chance to get a attorney, i sat their for a week begging to speak to the officer who supposedly arrested me before, and when he finally spoke to me, he realized the mistake he made and not long i was released and charges were dropped against me then my brother was recharged with the originally crime on top of identity theft
In what Michigan County were you arrested and in what Michigan County does your father reside?

oldpumpkin

In what Michigan County were you arrested and in what Michigan County does your father reside?
i was arrested in Lansing (ingham county) the warrant was in detroit (wayne county), so i ended up being transported all the way to detroit ( 80 miles way).

my father is in Otsego county ( gaylord, MI) my father just moved there and his new address i dont think is updated in the system yet

quincy

i was arrested in Lansing (ingham county) the warrant was in detroit (wayne county), so i ended up being transported all the way to detroit ( 80 miles way).

my father is in Otsego county ( gaylord, MI) my father just moved there and his new address i dont think is updated in the system yet
Thank you for providing information I requested.

I would not be surprised if Wayne County messed up the warrant but there is no reason why the Gaylord or the State Police cannot now easily locate your father and your brother (if he is staying with your dad).

There aren't that many people living in Gaylord or many places in the area to go for food and supplies.

I would contact the Detroit police and the Gaylord police and the State Police to report what you know.

Until your brother is arrested and jailed, there remains the risk he will try to pass himself off as you again. Please check out again the Michigan State Police link that offers suggestions on actions to take to protect yourself in the meantime.

Good luck.

westside

I might consider consulting an attorney. There may be exceptions, but someone arrested is normally entitled to a court appearance sooner than a week.

quincy

I might consider consulting an attorney. There may be exceptions, but someone arrested is normally entitled to a court appearance sooner than a week.
Wayne County is notoriously inept but I am thinking the time probably can be explained by the arrest on a warrant in one County and a wait for transfer to the other County.

Speaking with an attorney is never a bad idea, however.

FarmerJ

OP I cant help but wonder how long it took the police to discover your finger prints ARE different than your brothers ( if they actually compared them )

quincy

OP I cant help but wonder how long it took the police to discover your finger prints ARE different than your brothers ( if they actually compared them )
They probably didn't compare prints. It is possible anyway that the brother's prints are associated with oldpumpkin's name.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member

Generally when we arrest on an outstanding warrant there are no prints taken. I've never seen that happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">