• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested on DUI in FL but live in MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BGM2019

Hello:

I live in Maryland and have a Maryland license, I was arrested for failing a field sobriety test while on travel in Florida in January. After I was arrested I blew a .14. I hired a Florida attorney who said I would more than likely be entered into a pre trial diversion program but I might be able to transfer it to Maryland. The prosecutor has OKd me entering the diversion program but is researching its transferability to MD.

My question is has anyone ever successfully entered a DUI diversion program in a state that is not their residency, were you able to transfer the program requirements? In MD it seems to be called a Probation Before Judgement.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No. None of us here have.

You need to let your attorney deal with this. You may want to speak with a Maryland DUI attorney as well.

FlyingRon

A PBJ doesn't apply in this case. That's MD's procedure. You won't be facing a Maryland court on this. What you would want in Florida is called a Tier I diversion. Your attorney could tell us better than us. Don't forget to ask your attorney about the Administrative suspension/disqualification. This really won't have much impact in MD (you won't be able to drive in Florida) UNLESS your license is up for renewal and you may find you are disqualified for renewal.

I'm not seeing how a Maryland attorney would be any use (unless perhaps he gets convicted down in Florida), then he'll be facing MD sanctions.

What you should do is do something about your substance abuse problem (probably more seriously than the minimal requirements Florida will ask for).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">