• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested on the weekend, and can't return to work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justjudy2

I was arrested on a sunday, and detained, until court proceedings, took place, 11 weeks later.

I was told to resign.

When I returned to work, and showed, my case was adjudicated.

and the charges, in Indiana, were pending, and I was taking care of the case.

I was told, that if it is not cleared up, you cannot come back to work.

after reading EEOC, and the statement, of arrest, and conviction records, it says the employer can not use any questions, about the arrest, against being rehired.

any ideas.
i am presently free on bail, pending my charges, not convictions, in Indiana.

Judy

[This message has been edited by justjudy2 (edited June 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by justjudy2 (edited June 06, 2000).]

A

Attorney_Replogle

In my opinion, I don't think the employer is violating any laws. It is likely that you are in an at-will state. That means that the employer can terminate you at any time, with or without a reason.

In this case, the employer has expressed a desire that you take care of the legal matter forthwith. Else, they will terminate you. You were then asked to resign, and apparently you did. You don't state whether the employer asked about the arrest or court case. So I have to assume they didn't.

All they seem to be saying to you is that until it is cleared up, you can't come back to work. So I don't see any unlawful employment practices here.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">