• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"As Is" Appliances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I recently moved into a condo with a lease. The ad for the rental unit indicated that it came with a Washer and a Dryer, but that they were "as is". However, looking over the signed lease, the following is stated:

Personal Property Included and to be maintained in operational condition by Landlord:
[x]Washer [x]Dryer [x]Refrigerator [x]Range/Oven [x]Dishwasher [ ]Microwave
I read this to mean, in spite of what the ad listing may have stated, this signed lease, which should trump the ad, indicates that the landlord would indeed be responsible for the repair of the washer and dryer were either to become nonoperational. Am I correct in my assumption? Please advise.

Thank you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I recently moved into a condo with a lease. The ad for the rental unit indicated that it came with a Washer and a Dryer, but that they were "as is". However, looking over the signed lease, the following is stated:

I read this to mean, in spite of what the ad listing may have stated, this signed lease, which should trump the ad, indicates that the landlord would indeed be responsible for the repair of the washer and dryer were either to become nonoperational. Am I correct in my assumption? Please advise.

Thank you.
I read your lease as meaning the washer and dryer are included as appliances that will be repaired by the landlord and I read the ad as meaning the washer and dryer are not in new condition.

It is good to see you back on the forum.

FarmerJ

OCC The As Is part is pretty meaningless if all five items are in working condition. I have to wonder what the landlord was thinking because As is makes a difference when you sell something but has no bearing on those appliances in a rental since the LL will still have to supply them so in theory a landlord can even replace a appliance that fails with a older one and as long as it works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">