• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asaulted with Banana peel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Who brings bananas to class?

No, seriously, I find it odd and unprofessional that a teacher would eat in class - at least, that's how I usually end up with a banana peel.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am sorry, but I don't see the correlation between a banana peel and a black person
The correlation would be that (1) monkeys are often portrayed eating bananas in pop culture and (2) the term "monkey" is a fairly well known racial slur against blacks.

Would I have grounds for a civil suit?
There is not enough information here to tell you that, though it doesn't look promising. While throwing that banana might be interpreted as a racial attack against you for the reason I explained above, it is certainly not a slam dunk. It would be most useful if you could combine it with other acts by the teacher that show a racial bias against black persons. Even if you can do that, you still have to prove you suffered some kind of legally recognized damages, like a financial loss, for example, to win anything in a lawsuit. Your refusal to go to class while the teacher remains is not likely to count since that refusal is your decision rather than something that the teacher did to prevent you from attending class.

Had you been hit by the banana peel and suffered some kind of significant injury (which would be really, really unusual) that would also provide a basis to sue for money damages. But you didn't mention that it hit you, let alone that you suffered any harm from it.

I think that getting the school to take disciplinary action against the teacher is probably the best you can hope for out of this. Feel free to consult a civil litigation attorney if you want, but be prepared to hear that you don't have anything to pursue, at least not without something more than you have told us here.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I really, really, really wouldn't anticipate the teacher being fired. Nor will you be told what action is taken, so if a note is put in her file or she's told to take a sensitivity course, you're not going to know it.

Lucky you. My teachers used to throw solid objects such as big board erasers (won't use the word black just in case), books and anything else that came to hand. He also had an incredible aim and hit us every time.
Never had him throw fruit or vegetables though.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Lucky you. My teachers used to throw solid objects such as big board erasers (won't use the word black just in case), books and anything else that came to hand. He also had an incredible aim and hit us every time.
Never had him throw fruit or vegetables though.
We had one who just threw chalk at us, and walked around giving shoulder rubs to recalcitrant students. It earned him an unfortunate reputation...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">