• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asking for documentation for repairs of rental car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theotherdrew

I rented a car in Des Moines Iowa back in March. While I had the car I hit a deer. Called my insurance got the a claim going. Return the car the next day and fill out the damage report at the counter. Fast forward to December, my insurance pays for the damages and I get the letter from the billing agency for loss of use, administration fees and loss of value and my deductible. I signed the contract when I got the car, so I admit I owe them something. From my research Iowa has limits for loss of use. Iowa Code 516d.5 says " A claim made for loss of use shall not exceed the daily rental rate stated in the customer‘s contract, excluding optional charges, multiplied by the total of the estimated time for replacement and the estimated time for repair, divided by eight." By using that formula and talking to my insurance to get a copy of the repair estimate from the body shop, I determined they are charging me 4 times what the law states. I have asked for documentation from the billing company and car rental company with no success. What do I do next? So far i have not payed them anything till i get a written agreement. Eventually they are going to send this to collections then sue me for the amount.

adjusterjack

By using that formula and talking to my insurance to get a copy of the repair estimate from the body shop, I determined they are charging me 4 times what the law states.
Well, have you sent them a copy of the law and a cash offer of what you think you owe?

Eventually they are going to send this to collections then sue me for the amount.
You'll either have to wait for that and fight them in court or you can file your own lawsuit now and seek a declaratory judgment as to just how much money you have to pay.

Theotherdrew

Sorry it took me a while to answer back. I finally had a day off to deal with this mess. I was able to get a hold of someone who would negotiate a fair price. I offered a cash amount for 57% of what was billed. Now I'm waiting for the agreement in writing before I pay. Thanks for your help everyone!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">