• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asking for full bank statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiraRamsay2012

Is it normal for social security to ask for your entire bank statement for the last three years? Including every transaction you have ever made?

They are asking me for this for a redetermination, and I thought it was suspicious because I'm ending up printing over 100 pages of my transactions. They've never asked me for this stuff before. I am on SSI, not SSD.

Any advice or clarification appreciated.

LdiJ

Is it normal for social security to ask for your entire bank statement for the last three years? Including every transaction you have ever made?

They are asking me for this for a redetermination, and I thought it was suspicious because I'm ending up printing over 100 pages of my transactions. They've never asked me for this stuff before. I am on SSI, not SSD.

Any advice or clarification appreciated.
They are investigating as to whether or not you had any resources that would have otherwise disqualified you for SSI...or would have disqualified you for a period of time.

BL

SSA has re-determinations ever so often. Depending on your disability they determine how many yrs.

Onderzoek

Yes, SSI can ask for and expect to look at all of your financial records. In the application, you give permission for SSI to obtain bank information, but usually all that SSI can get is first of the month balances. That may or may not show what has been happening in your bank records since it is a snapshot. Often a more thorough exam is done when there is some kind of alert from the IRS about some sort of 1099 transaction that could potentially affect SSI benefits.

Is there any financial action that you haven't been forthcoming about? Are your bank records going to substantiate that your only income is SSI and that you pay the rent amount that you say you do? You might be surprised about how much information your bank records can tell about you.

MiraRamsay2012

Re

I'm not sure what a 1099 is, exactly, but I haven't made any big purchases or had any income from other sources. The only tax document I received was a form from my school, about pell-grant funds, but SS already has all the information about that from FAFSA.

I've been looking through the bank statements and the only other "income" I am seeing is from my grandmother paying for my medical expenses (most of my medications are not covered by insurance) and I have been told that medical expenses don't count. I am concerned though, because she would give me cash or check to pay for the doctor visit or medication or whatever it was - so now I'm afraid because there isn't any proof of where that money was from, it just shows up as a deposit. :confused:

citrix

Hi. Do SSA check each transaction in a bank statement or just the numbers? I suppose they check the total from first day of each month .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">