• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asking for opinions on sentencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaV17

My husband was convicted of rape of a 13 year old in 1988. He served 44 months for his crime. He got out of prison and got full custody of all his kids including a 4 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter. We married a few years later, but during the marriage I learned of another rape a few year earlier than the one he was convicted of. He never was charged for that crime which my state does not have a SOL for rape. He also got that girl who was 14 at the time pregnant. Then 30 years later, he decided to mess with his granddaughter and now is charged with object penetration. He says he did not have sex with her. While he has been in jail awaiting trial/sentencing, I have learned that there was yet another rape that he never served time for. My questions are 1) How much time do you think he will get? 2) I want to sell the property, which he first told me to do, but, it is in his name, but, we were married for 16 years and he signed a power of attorney for me to be able to sell it, but his kids and now him are throwing tantrums about me selling it. They believe he will walk free of everything and they are expecting ME, to stand by him and wait for him with open arms. I want to sell the property and move to another town where no one knows me. I want to file for divorce ASAP. I want absolutely NOTHING to do with him ever again. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

quincy

My husband was convicted of rape of a 13 year old in 1988. He served 44 months for his crime. He got out of prison and got full custody of all his kids including a 4 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter. We married a few years later, but during the marriage I learned of another rape a few year earlier than the one he was convicted of. He never was charged for that crime which my state does not have a SOL for rape. He also got that girl who was 14 at the time pregnant. Then 30 years later, he decided to mess with his granddaughter and now is charged with object penetration. He says he did not have sex with her. While he has been in jail awaiting trial/sentencing, I have learned that there was yet another rape that he never served time for. My questions are 1) How much time do you think he will get? 2) I want to sell the property, which he first told me to do, but, it is in his name, but, we were married for 16 years and he signed a power of attorney for me to be able to sell it, but his kids and now him are throwing tantrums about me selling it. They believe he will walk free of everything and they are expecting ME, to stand by him and wait for him with open arms. I want to sell the property and move to another town where no one knows me. I want to file for divorce ASAP. I want absolutely NOTHING to do with him ever again. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
There is no way to tell you how long of a sentence your husband will get if convicted.

You will want to discuss specifics with an attorney in your area.

You can file for divorce at any time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state?

I wouldn't sell the property, rather, I'd ask that it be disposed of in the divorce. I'm not sure why you're here instead of either at an attorney's for assistance with your divorce, or at the court filing already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">