• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault/Battery? NY state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlmjr89

I live New York state and was recently involved in an altercation where I was hit in the chest and aggressively pushed by a friend who had too much to drink. I tried to leave when he stood in my way at which point I pushed him (twice) and he subsequently broke his ankle. I took him to the hospital and no police report was ever filed as he said he broke it accidentally, but now he wants help with his medical bills because he is uninsured. I fear he may try to flip the narrative here to where it could become my word vs. his. What is the outlook here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live New York state and was recently involved in an altercation where I was hit in the chest and aggressively pushed by a friend who had too much to drink. I tried to leave when he stood in my way at which point I pushed him (twice) and he subsequently broke his ankle. I took him to the hospital and no police report was ever filed as he said he broke it accidentally, but now he wants help with his medical bills because he is uninsured. I fear he may try to flip the narrative here to where it could become my word vs. his. What is the outlook here?
My outlook is that you ought to offer the guy some help in paying his medical bills. Maybe negotiate a 50/50 split...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the outlook? Potentially bad.

You were uninjured. The other party was, enough so that medical treatment was necessary. That would make your retaliation seem disproportionate.

I concur with Zigner.

Eekamouse

Flip the narrative as in telling what really happened? Like how you pushed him, causing him to break his ankle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">