• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault charges/stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My 18 year old son has been stalked and harrassed by an ex girlfriend. He has recently turned 18, she is still a juvenile. although we have kept records of the harrassment from her, we have not filed any charges. Tonight, in a confrontation to get some belongings returned, my son lost his temper, pushed and slapped her. She has filed assault charges. The police have reccommended us filing stalking charges. I am concerned about his record and jail time. What exactly should we worry about, and what path should we take? We can not afford legal council, can the juvenile courts help? Can anyone else help? She has a record with the juvenile courts, my son's record is clean. There was no arrest made tonight. How should he plea when he goes to court?


George G

This has gotten out of hand. It is clearly the type of thing that a lawyer can quickly help you with -- sometimes a phone call can do it. If you really can't afford anything, and your son can't, go to the legal aid society, or public defender or a local law school's legal clinic and ask for help. Sometimes a prosecutor will not press charges where the complaining witness is not believeable. Tell your son to refuse to make anystatements to anyone about the matter until he speaks to a lawyer. If the prosecutor feels itr was a provoked attack or self defense, and there is no confession or admission by your son, and your son does not piss off the cops of prosecutor, you'd be better off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential