• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault with a deadly weapon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmarquez

Texas
I have a friend in jail for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. In December of 2018 a girl he was dating was trying to hit his mom so he just pushed her away a few times to get her away from his mom, the girl fell and called the cops and said that my friend hit her and pointed a gun at her and fired the gun in the air. Before the cops got there my friend left. A warrant for his arrest was filed in February 2019, my friend got arrested twice after that and the warrant didn't come up and was released from custody. In early October 2019 there was an altercation at the apartment building we live the cops came and arrested my friend for the warrant. He has been in jail every since. What is going to happen to him? and why didn't the warrant for his arrest show up the other 2 times he got arrested? First one was mid February 2019 and June 2019. Also the alleged weapon was never found. What is likely to be the outcome on his case?

Just Blue

Texas
I have a friend in jail for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. In December of 2018 a girl he was dating was trying to hit his mom so he just pushed her away a few times to get her away from his mom, the girl fell and called the cops and said that my friend hit her and pointed a gun at her and fired the gun in the air. Before the cops got there my friend left. A warrant for his arrest was filed in February 2019, my friend got arrested twice after that and the warrant didn't come up and was released from custody. In early October 2019 there was an altercation at the apartment building we live the cops came and arrested my friend for the warrant. He has been in jail every since. What is going to happen to him? and why didn't the warrant for his arrest show up the other 2 times he got arrested? First one was mid February 2019 and June 2019. Also the alleged weapon was never found. What is likely to be the outcome on his case?
Why are you posting about your friends criminal case on the internet? Is he aware you are doing this? Did you think about the wisdom of posting on a public website before joining FreeAdvice? Does the Attorney for the friend know what you are doing?

quincy

Texas
The outcome for your friend is likely not a good one. Where your friend goes, trouble seems to follow.

He should have a criminal defense attorney helping him with his defense against the various and assorted charges.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Texas
Does the outcome of one specific case really matter, when he gets arrested repeatedly?

When your lifestyle is such that you get arrested several times a year, some charge is bound to stick and result in doing time.

Your friend needs, in addition to a lawyer, anger management and/or therapy. He needs to learn how to resolve problems peacefully.

Last edited:

wmarquez

Why are you posting about your friends criminal case on the internet? Is he aware you are doing this? Did you think about the wisdom of posting on a public website before joining FreeAdvice? Does the Attorney for the friend know what you are doing?
If he wasn't aware I wouldn't be posting. And if he had an attorney I would be asking him. Unfortunately, he can't afford a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he wasn't aware I wouldn't be posting. And if he had an attorney I would be asking him. Unfortunately, he can't afford a lawyer.
Then he'll be assigned one. In any case, YOU should not be posting his business on the interwebz.

Just Blue

Then the state will provide one for him...Seriously, stop blapping his VERY SERIOUS criminal case on the internet. He shouldn't be discussing this with anyone except his attorney.

quincy

Isn’t that what this forum is for? Besides I’m sharing his name.
I think you meant “not” sharing his name. Good. Don’t.

A court-assigned lawyer is a lawyer who had to pass the same Bar exam to be licensed to practice in the state as all other lawyers in the state did. The differences between a court-appointed attorney (aka public defender) and a private attorney can include trial experience (public defenders often have greater trial experience) and caseloads (public defenders often have several times the number of cases per year of a private attorney) and income (public defenders often make a fraction of what private attorneys make).

A private attorney often can devote more time to each individual case. This can be an advantage. However private attorneys can be costly. Public defenders are available to those who cannot afford the cost of a private attorney (e.g., are indigent).

You should trust that your friend will have good representation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">