• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assign Life Ins to meet Medicaid requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cagey1

I've been told we can assign my mother's (80 yrs old with dementia) Life Insurance Policy to the Funeral Home so it will not count as an asset so she can qualify for Medicaid. It is only 5K, but I'm still not comfortable with signing it directly to them. Is there any way to word the assignment that will better protect our interest (in case the funeral home folds, etc.) and that will also satisfy Medicaid? I would very much appreciate any help.

ErinGoBragh

Speak with an attorney regarding specific wording- we cannot give it here. I am also not sure about Medicaid. That *really* depends on many, many different factors and particulars.

However, I do not see why you have such an issue assigning the policy. You do know that the funeral home will have to show the insurance company bills for all expenses, right? And you are, in fact, planning on using this money for your mother's burial, when the time comes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">