• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assignment as personal representative to father's estate 23 years after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Greetings everyone. I will try to make this as brief as possible. My Father, who passed away 23 years ago, was part of the class action suit against asbestos manufacturers. He periodically received payments from it until his death. After he died, my mother, who was the executrix, continued to receive the payments. My mother passed away November of 2013. I am the executor of the estate. I just finished the probate process and the estate is completely settled. I have been advised by the law firm representing my father that now that my mother has died, a new representative has to be named for my father so that the family continues to receive any payments from settlements. They asked me to send them my Testamentary letter and a copy of my mother's death certificate, which I did. The impression was that those documents were all that was needed to be named as the rep for my father. I received a letter from them stating that, per Massachusetts law, I have to be named as my father's representative by the probate court. I just finished paying a great deal of money for my mother's probate due to many complications that dragged it out.

My question is as follows:

Is this something I can do myself?
What exactly is required to be named as my father's representative in this continuing asbestos litigation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential