• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assignment of benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bowler87

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Nebraska
My family auto policy has med-pay coverage.
When receiving treatment I did not sign an ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS.
The hospital has contacted my auto carrier and tried to intercept my med-pay benefits.
QUESTION #1 In Nebraska, are Med-Pay ben assignable?

QUESTION #2 Is there a remedy available for Hospital telling this lie: "We have an assignment of Benefits" ?

My group health plan covers me . This plan contains a clause :

"THIRD-PARTY LIABILITY
...member must reimburse plan immediately upon collection of damages for such injury..."
QUESTION #3
Should the med-pay benefits be construed as "damages" ?
If/when damages are paid from the third party or my UM coverage, then my plan will get their reimbursement. But can they grab my med-pay benefits, too?
QUESTION #4
California Blue Cross acting as administrator of PERS health plan--so I expect the decision to come from CA. As I live in NE, can I sue the local plan to get this policy language to a judge for a proper interuption? Or must I travel to CA and file?

[In efforts to not make this too complex, I am not going to give you the details of this accident in Florida, a no-fault state.]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">